Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Semi-urgent oversparge question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Barkingshins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Semi-urgent oversparge question

Just a quick question... and hopefully a quick answer.

I have just a bit over 7 gallons of wort boiling away on the stove right now. I was shooting for only 6.5 gallons of total runoff from the MLT but I obviously made a miscalculation somewhere and ended up with an extra .75 gallons or so in my kettle. My question is this...

Is there any significant harm in just boiling for an extra hour or so before I begin my hop additions? I figure this will allow the total volume to boil down to ~6.5 gallons which is where I wanted to be in the first place. This will make for a total 2 hour boil. I'm doing the boil on my gas stove which has a pretty beefy "Supoerboiler" that works quiet nicely for doing a full boil but it's not a very aggressive boil so I can't imagine that the extra hour will have any terrible consequences. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

There is no harm in a longer boil. It probably will give you a darker beer.

You might want to check your gravity NOW to make sure that you are on target to hit your planned OG - if that matters to you.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I regularly boil 90min, if I'm doing a very strong beer I'll boil for 2-3 hours to get my target volume.

So, I wouldn't worry about boiling for a couple hours, then adding your hops in the last 60min or whatever.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Barkingshins
Recipes 

Great! Yes, I've checked my gravity and adjusted for temp and the increased volume and I seem to be on target for my O.G. so, hopefully no worries there.

Thank you very much.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
Barkingshins
Recipes 

Just to confirm my calculations... if I am shooting for 6 gallons of wort at an O.G. of 1.053 @ 68 degrees, what should my 7 gallons of boiling temp wort be at for gravity?

Quick Reply