secondary temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busa504

Reaction score
so i am getting ready to tranfer to my secondary, been fermenting the primary for 2 weeks @ 70, my question is what should be the secondary temp the same or serving temps?

Do you have a fermentation chamber or is the fermentor just sitting at room temperature? If I were you I would ferment at temps in the mid to high 60s which is the best range for ale yeast. Also, I wold let your primary sit for 3-4 weeks and then cold crash it if you have the resources. Doing a secondary only increases the risks of oxidation and contamination and you can do the same thing in your primary then your secondary. I would just make sure when you plan to bottle/keg to move the carboy at least a few hours beforehand to make sure anything you kick up gets settles out first.

Do you have a fermentation chamber or is the fermentor just sitting at room temperature? If I were you I would ferment at temps in the mid to high 60s which is the best range for ale yeast. Also, I wold let your primary sit for 3-4 weeks and then cold crash it if you have the resources. Doing a secondary only increases the risks of oxidation and contamination and you can do the same thing in your primary then your secondary. I would just make sure when you plan to bottle/keg to move the carboy at least a few hours beforehand to make sure anything you kick up gets settles out first.

well i have a copmpletly closed transfer system, sabco primary and the sabco condition vessel.

Are you dryhopping a pale hoppy ale in the secondary? If so, I'd say anywhere from 65-70 F is fine.

After two weeks in primary I actually think warmer is better - say 72° - to help the ale yeast continue on through the “long tail” of attenuation – what I think is called “finishing”. Basically park it at the upper max of the temp range specified on the yeast packaging for a few days.

In the case of WLP007 I have to give it a full week at room temp (week 3) otherwise I get serious diacetyl problems. In that case I call it a “diacetyl rest”. (Others might rightly argue 1 month in cold storage would serve the same purpose.)

Back