The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > secondary question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey TL...I've got an aunt and some cousins in San Angelo. I'll have to hollar at you if I ever manage to get over that way. Do you have a LHBS anywhere near you?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 AM   #12
PFlint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy-that's a basic feature and one of the best reason to use this particular grain. You didn't use a clarifying agent did you?
While wheat contributes proteins that may cause cloudyness, I think the haze most associated with wheat beers (particularly Bavarian wheat beers) is caused by low floculating yeasts. Long boils can serve to precipitate these extra proteins-- removing them from the wort.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFlint
While wheat contributes proteins that may cause cloudyness, I think the haze most associated with wheat beers (particularly Bavarian wheat beers) is caused by low floculating yeasts. Long boils can serve to precipitate these extra proteins-- removing them from the wort.
the haze comes from the high protein content of wheat. the fact that the vast majority of wheat beers are unfiltered also contributes to cloudiness because the yeast sediment will make it cloudy. that said, there are filtered wheat beers that are crystal clear. however IMO the yeastiness in wheat beers is a desired feature of their taste, removing the yeast can be detrimental to the beers overall flavor profile.

Old 12-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trub lips
no kidding......my family (mom's side) has a farm between big spring and gail. their name is blassingame.....later
small world. we were through there when we evacuated from Rita. it had been a couple years since i'd been. my mom's maiden name is Rees. she actually grew up in Westbrook, but all her sisters and their families still live in the area.

have you hit the Big Spring Brew Pub? i wanted to stop so bad when we went through, but didn't get the chance.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply