Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   secondary question (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/secondary-question-4178/)

trub lips 12-09-2005 06:49 PM

secondary question
 
I'm constructing a german wheat ale and I have a question. It took about 36 hours for fermentation to start, after that it bubbled like mad for about 18 hours, and then shutoff completely. Should I wait to rack the beer to the secondary any longer?......the instructions I got in the past say wait 5-7 days.....it has been 4 days since yeast pitch....I'm in a time crunch.....this needs to be ready for Christmas.......thanks.......oh yeah, it has been cold here at my location, Texas,......60 to 75 degrees F

Orfy 12-09-2005 07:01 PM

Temp should be fine.
You'll not gain anything by moving after 4 days.I'd wait the 7 days.
If you've not used a hydrometer you'll have no sure fire way of knowing if fermentation has finished.

You could give it a shake to wake the yeast up if it's gone to sleep.

drengel 12-09-2005 07:37 PM

take your og and see if its done. i would still leave it in the primary for 7 days, but since your in a time crunch don't use a secondary. the cloudiness won't go away cause its a wheat beer, of course a secondary would meld the flavors, but you could get away with not using it, otherwise it won't be done for christmas.

DeRoux's Broux 12-09-2005 08:39 PM

i'd rack it if you don't see any activity in a couple minutes or so.
what part of Texas?

trub lips 12-09-2005 08:53 PM

I'm in San Angelo......kinda in the middle of the state

trub lips 12-09-2005 08:56 PM

I checked the gravity, and it is a bit high.....maybe I'll wait one more day.....thanks everyone.

sause 12-09-2005 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drengel
take your og and see if its done. i would still leave it in the primary for 7 days, but since your in a time crunch don't use a secondary. the cloudiness won't go away cause its a wheat beer, of course a secondary would meld the flavors, but you could get away with not using it, otherwise it won't be done for christmas.


Don't mean to sound like a jerk but I have two wheat beers that are very clear.

If it needs to bedone before christmas the latest I would bottle is this weekend.

DeRoux's Broux 12-09-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trub lips
I'm in San Angelo......kinda in the middle of the state

cool. my mom's family is from Big Spring, Cahomo,Stanton, Snyder.
good bbq joint in San Angelo.

Mikey 12-09-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sause
Don't mean to sound like a jerk but I have two wheat beers that are very clear.

Wheat beers are supposed to be cloudy-that's a basic feature and one of the best reason to use this particular grain. You didn't use a clarifying agent did you?

trub lips 12-09-2005 10:53 PM

no kidding......my family (mom's side) has a farm between big spring and gail. their name is blassingame.....later


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.