Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Secondary Fermentation - To Rack or Not to Rack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #111
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown25 View Post
Somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember reading that using something to strain the beer at that point in the process could possibly lead to oxidation. Something to consider.
The key to avoid this, and i found out the hard way, is to have the minimal height difference that will allow the syphon to run. If you run a slow and weak syphon you wont pull any air through the beer while being able to filter most junk. If the fermenter is too high compared to the collection vessel you will pull air through. I ruined an IPA becuase I had the secondary about twice the height i normaly syphone from and sure enough i had a problem with pulling air through.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #112
invmgmt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillhamms View Post
To go back a few post...

Why would you decide to use a secondary when adding Oak vs say, dry hopping? What about crushed mint? Would the addition of either of these require a secondary carboy when the beer would only be in the secondary for 7-10 more days before kegging?

I usually skip the secondary, but wonder if I shouldn't in these cases. The mint and the oak are going in different beers.

thanks!
No one answered this question. I am concerned about this as well and have even posted a similar question in another thread.

So, does someone NEED to rack to a secondary when using oak??

Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #113
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't rack when adding oak cubes ..... just toss em right into primary

Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #114
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

On my cheaper beers i stopped racking to a secondary but i think i will go back to it. I seem to be picking up an u wanted sour in the beer. It is not terrible but it is something that i never had when using a secondary.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #115
ChrisfromAbby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think I'm not understanding something about the process.

My primary is a 40L soft plastic (probably LDPE) bucket with a snap on lid. The seal is NOT air tight - on purpose as I've always understood oxygen was highly desirable during primary. Hell, I stir my wine vigourously the first couple of days sometimes! I've had very few problems in 25 years in many batches of beer and wine with my routine of 3 to 10 days in the primary then racking to secondary. However, in trying extended time in the primary I've run into 3 infections in the last little while. The most recent I'm blaming on fruit flies getting in throught the lid.

Is my definition of a primary fermentation vessel different from those who advocate this extended time in the primary? Are you locking it down somehow? Are you using an airlock? Or are you using a similar methodology and I've just had some bad luck or a screw-up in sanitation?

Chris

Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #116
flywatt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wish I would have read this yesterday. I just transferred my brew into a carboy yesterday to finish fermenting. Seems like most people here are recommending not to. Does this stay true for ingredient kits? The kits recommend secondary fermentation.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #117
miguelhunt
Recipes 

thanks guys.. been makimg wine for 35 years and today brewed my first beer. was hoping for an IPA using extract.. but after realisaing the crystal malt i bought for steeping was a 'dark' it now looks like i am brewing a begian speciality/old english ale at 6.3ABV with a IBU at 43.. so my next question was how long on the primary. ,,,. now thinks me will just leave in on the primary for a few weeks.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #118
miguelhunt
Recipes 

yeah ands I know you guys didn't invent beer BUT i am getting all my inspiration the States since in ther UK everyone seems to just wanna brew 1) everything in small batches 2) in plastic 3) copy beer styles from down the pub and 4) use beer kits... my next 6 batches will be extract then i will try all grain brewing.. also I am clearing my lounge/livimng room of all furniture si that I can build a brewery!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #119
miguelhunt
Recipes 

ps i make 150 (English) gallons of apple wine a year ... lets see how I do with beer!!!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #120
roger_tucker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default I think the John Palmer quotes are being taken out of context

This topic is a religious war. I've read just about every opinion from no need for secondary, to rack off after the gravity quits changing, to wait until primary fermentation is complete, around four days. Actually contrary to what has been posted here this is what John Palmer suggests. I've seen the blurb about leaving is two to three weeks in the primary quoted in this thread out of context a few times, which is really why I'm posting.

Here the last two paragraphs of the Secondary or Conditioning Phase section with the section that I think has been taken out of context highlighted as well as the points where he recommend a secondary.

Quote:
There has been a lot of controversy within the homebrewing community on the value of racking beers, particularly ales, to secondary fermentors. Many seasoned homebrewers have declared that there is no real taste benefit and that the dangers of contamination and the cost in additional time are not worth what little benefit there may be. While I will agree that for a new brewer's first, low gravity, pale beer that the risks probably outweigh the benefits; I have always argued that through careful transfer, secondary fermentation is beneficial to nearly all beer styles. But for now, I will advise new brewers to only use a single fermentor until they have gained some experience with racking and sanitation.

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2-3.html

Quite frankly, I don't know what the right answer is. I guess do what works for you. If your beer looks good and tastes good then you're doing it right.

Quick Reply