Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second runnings sour mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
wetherel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is there a flavor difference from sour mashing with verses w/o spent grains? Does sour mashing with spent grains introduce off flavors? I can see how using the spent grains increases the thermal mass, keeping the temperature high longer, making the lactobacillus happier to create lactic acid. Maybe the spent grain provides moe food for the lactobacillus. If you omit the spent grains you can bring the temperature back up to make sure the enzymes are completely deactivated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
lizardeye
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I basically followed the method Jamil described in his Berliner weisse, but let it sour a bit longer. I think ideally letting it go overnight to two days would be good for a Berliner. and may be a little longer for the common.
Where might I find the recipe for this Berlinner Weisse of Jamil's?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #13
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
Is there a flavor difference from sour mashing with verses w/o spent grains? Does sour mashing with spent grains introduce off flavors? I can see how using the spent grains increases the thermal mass, keeping the temperature high longer, making the lactobacillus happier to create lactic acid. Maybe the spent grain provides moe food for the lactobacillus. If you omit the spent grains you can bring the temperature back up to make sure the enzymes are completely deactivated.
I just did a Sour mash with fresh grains last Wednesday to Thursday, and it is currently fermenting, so I have not tried it. But my two previous second runnings Sour mashes are close to being done. I tasted the week long and the two day sour mashes and I did not get any off flavors other than the yeast in suspension. But I have not got a completed beer yet to compare the two.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Bsquared

Recipes 

Last week I bottled up the first batch that I soured for a week and fermented with the yeast I cultured from a Sierra Nevada Killerwise. I will be interested to hear what others think of it, but I think is turned out fairly well. The yeast have a vary low ester profile, and attenuated the beer fully.

This beer have a strong sour flavor, with a light caramel finish. The carbonation is at 2.5% helping to accentuate the sour. The head is vary week, and falls off in under a min.

I will be bottling and kegging the other two batches this week, so I'll have to see how they turn out, but so far they don't taste half bad.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Last week I bottled up the first batch that I soured for a week and fermented with the yeast I cultured from a Sierra Nevada Killerwise. I will be interested to hear what others think of it, but I think is turned out fairly well. The yeast have a vary low ester profile, and attenuated the beer fully.

This beer have a strong sour flavor, with a light caramel finish. The carbonation is at 2.5% helping to accentuate the sour. The head is vary week, and falls off in under a min.

I will be bottling and kegging the other two batches this week, so I'll have to see how they turn out, but so far they don't taste half bad.
I look forward to trying it! sounds like it'd be good on a hot day.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #16
Bsquared

Recipes 

So I just put this away in February 2010, Carnevoodoo tasted it back then, and there was a TON of diacetyl in these beers. I had four cases at the time and was a bit too lazy to toss them, but also wanted to see how they aged.

well I have been cracking these beers for a few weeks now, and have to admit I am a bit surprised. They have a good tartness about them, and the diacetyl is for the most part gone, but the high carbonation also helps. But I'm finding them quite drinkable, and refreshing.

I think I'll bring a couple bottles to his B-day bash and see what every one thinks.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Locus415
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bumping this thread because I too have found this a great and easy way to get a sour beer pipeline going. I did a doble doble for my son's birth using 28 some odd pounds of Belgian Pils and a touch of biscuit malt. After running the main 1.112 (some sugar added) and a second smaller beer, boiling, cooling and pitching; I was spent. I didn't get around to cleaning the mash cooler for a couple of days and when I did I drained off about 1.5 gallons of some pretty cloudy, sour smelling wort. Boiled it up with a touch of hops and pitched with some back up S-05 from the freezer. Came out pretty good, tart, and spritzy. Saving the other 2 that were bottled in 750ml to go a least a year before cracking open.

Now, I am starting to do it on purpose with most of my larger grain bills. I have an American Amber malt bill primaried with WLP530 and now chilling on some Grand Cru and Lost Abbey Gift of the Maji dregs in secondary.

Doing another one today using the combined spend grain from a double batch day of Magic Hat #9 and a Cali Common.

Quick Reply