Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second All-Grain Efficiency Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
revco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Second All-Grain Efficiency Question...

Hey all,

So I brewed my second all grain batch yesterday and tried to measure my system's efficiency. Got a couple questions.

Original BK volume was 7.5 gallons, slightly higher than I wanted due to a slightly miscalculated mash volume on my part. I boiled down the 7.5 to 7 gallons and started into my 60. To the BK gravity was 1.055, OG was 1.070 and I ended up with 6 gallons to the fermenter. It shouldn't matter, but just in case, I used 13.25lb of grain and 9 gallons of water in a single infusion mash with a batch sparge. My question. Do I calculate from the original BK volume or the boiled down volume? As in, did I achieve ~88% efficiency or ~82% efficiency. I'm kind of glad I used more volume...as it stands, I'm 10 points above the recipe calculated at 70%!

Second question. My first runnings hit 1.095, my second runnings were at 1.050. Final pre-boil gravity ended up 1.055. I measured at vorlauf in both mash/sparge stages and straight from the kettle was used for the pre-boil measurement. Is this fairly typical? I was expecting more of an average between the two. I'm assuming that the gravity will be lower at the later stages of the sparge drain, bringing the overall pre-boil gravity down.

If you need other info, let me know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Your pre-boil measurement is the starting gravity, which denotes your mash efficiency.
Your post boil measurement is the Original gravity, and denotes your brewhouse efficiency.

As long as you mixed the runnings well, that is your correct SG
Sounds like you had a good brew day, and have your system down.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply