The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second All Grain, Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Second All Grain, Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale

Did my 2nd all grain this afternoon using Edwort's Haus Pale Ale recipe. For the most part everything went really well with the only exception of collecting too much wort and not boiling it down enough. I purposely did this as I seem to lose quite a bit of wort to evaporation and was hoping to have a final post boil volume of 5.5 gallons. After cooling and filling my fermenter with 5.5 gallons I had 1.4 gallons left in the brew pot. I lost about 1.6 gallons to evaporation, but it wasn't near enough as my OG was 1.037. I am starting to get a better handle on the whole process and hope my next brew comes closer to the numbers dictated by the recipe.

I'm curious as to what the end product is going to taste like, I'm guessing really thin and hoppy but not sure.

I saved the remaining 1.4 gallons and am hoping to get some ideas on what I can do with it. A friend of mine gave me a 3.3 pound can of John Bull hopped LME. I thought about adding the 2 together and seeing what comes of it. Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
Did my 2nd all grain this afternoon using Edwort's Haus Pale Ale recipe. For the most part everything went really well with the only exception of collecting too much wort and not boiling it down enough. I purposely did this as I seem to lose quite a bit of wort to evaporation and was hoping to have a final post boil volume of 5.5 gallons. After cooling and filling my fermenter with 5.5 gallons I had 1.4 gallons left in the brew pot. I lost about 1.6 gallons to evaporation, but it wasn't near enough as my OG was 1.037. I am starting to get a better handle on the whole process and hope my next brew comes closer to the numbers dictated by the recipe.

I'm curious as to what the end product is going to taste like, I'm guessing really thin and hoppy but not sure.

I saved the remaining 1.4 gallons and am hoping to get some ideas on what I can do with it. A friend of mine gave me a 3.3 pound can of John Bull hopped LME. I thought about adding the 2 together and seeing what comes of it. Any other suggestions?
I actually had the same exact issue a week or so ago with this beer. I did taste a sample of it last evening as I took a gravity reading. I found a good beer similar in taste and feel to the other 4 batches I have brewed.

If you need to, send your batch my way and I will....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply