Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second AG batch.. HELP! Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #11
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Yep, an accurate thermometer is pretty important. I had to bit the bullet and get a waterproof one.
Most folks mash at around 1.25 quarts per pound of grain. Then you have to figure for grain absobtion and add enough water at the end of the mash so you get about 1\2 of needed wort.
If you have to cool the mash use ice cubes, they work better without adding a bunch of water. It is easier to cool than to heat up the mash with batch sparging.

I vorlauf about 2 quarts. It's plenty more than needed but I am assured that the runnings are clear.

On the 2nd sparge my water temp is 185-190 and I don't get close to 170 in the mash.

Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigaas
When I'm using promash, I've entered the grain bill as shown in the recipe and it calculates a SG for me based on my efficiency. Is there a way to get it to tell me what the grain bill should be based on a SG and efficiency? Or do I just need to keep adjusting the grain bill until the SG is right?
I think there is a check box right there to lock the efficiency and it will scale the grain as you raise or lower the efficiency.There is also one for batch size too which is handy because I do 5.5 batch sizes.

Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply