Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Second AG Batch Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
chanson16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Second AG Batch Help

I am going to do my 2nd AG batch this weekend and was wondering when the best time was to take the 1st Hydrometer reading. With my 1st batch I took one off the 1st sparge runnings and it was higher that it should have been. I did the full sparge and and took another before the boil. It was lower than it should have been.

I just want to get an accurate reading prior to boil in case I need to add DME or thin to hit my target OG.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Take a sample of your wort once you hit your volumes. Be sure to cool it down as close to 60F as you can while your wort is coming to a boil.

Once cooled take your reading and then adjust accordingly.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
StanJohnson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Also, make sure you stir/mix your wort before taking a sample to ensure a proper reading.

RDWIWBB

Stan

Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckels View Post
take a sample of your wort once you hit your volumes. Be sure to cool it down as close to 60f as you can while your wort is coming to a boil.

Once cooled take your reading and then adjust accordingly.
+1

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

One other related question. I was shooting for a 6.5 gallon pres boil volume. The last half gallon coming off my sparge was almost as clear as water (I was brewing a pale ale so it was light anyway but it was very clear). I think this lowered my OG. Is it better to shoot for your volume or OG target?

Thanks again for the replies!

Quick Reply