The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Screwed up water profile: Can it be fixed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Screwed up water profile: Can it be fixed?

I just realized that I totally screwed up the water chemistry on my last brew. I was in a hurry and plugged in some wrong numbers on Palmer's spread sheet.

Bottom line is that I was making a Czech Pils, shooting for a Residual Alkanlinity around -60 and ended up adding WAY TOO MUCH CaCO3 and the RA was 193.

Just a little off, right? It's been fermenting for a week and I just realized the mistake. I haven't tasted it yet, but I know it's going to be the most harsh, bitter taste ever. Correct?

Anything I can do to fix this now? Even if it means diluting the batch a bit? I know the first step will be to taste it, but I know what to expect. First big brewing screw up in a long time. Thoughts?

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The good thing is that CaCO3 is not very soluble in water. So it probably didn't significantly affect the beer. The real problem is the lack of acidification that was needed to promote a proper pH. I can't even understand how chalk was a candidate for water treatment if your goal was to reduce RA to -60. Possibly you need to revisit the software and advice you use for brewing water adjustments?

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply