Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Screwed up grain bill; conversion questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
indigi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Screwed up grain bill; conversion questions

I'm doing a beer tomorrow that's got roughly 45% unmalted wheat in it. I'm trying to do a wit, but more toasty and caramelly so it's more wintery. (It's for the birthday of a friend who loves wits.) The problem is that to do this, I decided to replace all the pils/pale malt with Munich without thinking. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the diastatic power to convert nearly that high of a percentage of adjuncts.

I'm probably going to rush to a local store tomorrow morning and pick up some 6-row, and was wondering how much would be enough? One pound?

Alternately, I have a bag of amylase enzyme from Austin Homebrew. I'm pretty sure it's alpha amylase because the instructions say it will denature in an hour over 158*. I wonder if I add some of that to the mash without the 6-row, would it do a good enough job? I know not many people have experience using it and I'm probably better off going with the 6-row, but I'd love to save myself the 1.5-2 hours a trip to the LHBS would take since tomorrow's going to be a double brewday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Munich will convert it bit it may take 2 hours. I highly recommend a protein rest at 122f.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For how long? The grains are already mixed, unfortunately, if that makes any difference.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Even 15-20 minutes will help with making the wheat more available to the enzymes later.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Update: I did the protien rest at 122* for 30 minutes and infused it to sacch temps for 90. Still wound up only getting about 50-53% efficiency into the fermenter I topped up with some DME to get the OG to where I wanted it, but next time I'll make sure to include some 2-row in the grain bill.

Quick Reply