New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Scorched

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts

Default Scorched

Well, I encountered my first real issue with brewing in nearly 3 years or brewing.

I run a RIMS tube set up, but that is just an FYI.

When I finished and took the element out, it was scorched. Had the cigarette/burnt smell to it.

I could not smell it during the mash or taste it in the wort. I only knew when I saw it.

So my question is, even though the wort tasted and smelled normal, should I be too worried about it? I have been trying to find the answer, but couldn't find any information about the actual wort. Only the final fermented product.

Thanks for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A more delicate palate might pick it up but most probably wouldn't even notice. My father in law scorched some lme once and my wife tasted it right off. I could taste it only of I looked for it. I stopped looking and she drank some wine I think. He similarly said the wort smelled/looked fine.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you can't taste it in the wort I wouldn't worry too much. My scorched batch the burnt taste was as apparent as a freight train and got dumped.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for helping settle my nerves a little. It was my first 2 lagers and I'm hoping they turn out. It's expensive to get ingredients where I live so I was a little upset when I discovered the problem. Not to mention the time and DME of doing a 2-stage starter.

Note to self, check your friends crush before you go ahead and use his crusher. He crushes WAY fine and that clogged my false bottom which lead to the flow problems which lead to the scorching.

Live and learn

Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just an update.

Checked the gravity of both beers today after 6 days of fermentation and they are sitting around 1.030. Both down from 1.060's so good healthy lager fermentations.

So far, no detectable scorch/burnt tastes. I will have to wait and see as there are still a lot of fermentation flavors going on right now. Very little sulfur production.

A bit of an unexpected taste. The Pils, which has 1/2lb of Munich malt tastes way more malty than the Maibock which has 4lbs of Munich and a double decoction. I'm interested to see how these flavors turn out.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Another update.

Unfortunately, both brews were dumped. There was a burnt taste and was not worth the extra work to finish these lagers.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Way to keep us updated. Sorry the beers didn't turn out. Did the scorched flavor only come through once it hit final gravity?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaconga
Way to keep us updated. Sorry the beers didn't turn out. Did the scorched flavor only come through once it hit final gravity?
I could taste it when I took them out for the diaceytl rest at 1.020. I thought I would let them finish fermenting to see what would happen, but they just didn't come around.

I've got 2 ales coming up but am going to try another pils as soon as the weather warms up a bit and I can brew outside.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For what it is worth, scorching is one of the reasons I don't like using elements in a mashing set up. I converted to a HERMS system for this reason. I use ULWD elements for boiling, and with regular cleaning, they are fine. But I have had a lot of difficulty with elements, even ULWD ones, with various mash setups. Sorry for your loss. I have had the same thing happen to me a few times.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks
For what it is worth, scorching is one of the reasons I don't like using elements in a mashing set up. I converted to a HERMS system for this reason. I use ULWD elements for boiling, and with regular cleaning, they are fine. But I have had a lot of difficulty with elements, even ULWD ones, with various mash setups. Sorry for your loss. I have had the same thing happen to me a few times.
Thank you for your condolences. :-( it has been a tough day but we will make it through this challenging time.

The funny thing is that my first batch through the system turned out great. Then again, I was using my equipment.

My grain was basically pulverized when I used my friend's mill and that caused flow problems which led to the scorching.

I basically did this set up as a way to brew inside when it is too cold so I won't be using it too often. I wanted to do a HERMS but the RIMS tube is considerably less expensive.

I really want the Tower of Power from Blichmann but can't purchase that until I move back to the States.

Quick Reply