New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Scaling Recipes for Effiency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
FreebootersBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Scaling Recipes for Effiency

I recently finished my single-tier system and after brewing one batch on it, my efficiency has gone up almost 10 points.

So, to scale a recipe for a higher efficiency than it was originally designed, would you:

A. Just decrease the amount of base malt you use to hit your target gravity?

or

B. Would you scale back everything including specialty grains proportionally?

Would there be significant difference in the finished beer depending on which method you used?

I use Beersmith and have played with the scale recipe function. But after scaling the recipe for example, 1 lb of chocolate malt gets scaled to .88 lbs and I don't really want to get that specific. Just wondering what others do.

On Deck: Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I only scale the base malt. The exception is when I have a large percentage of another self-mashing malt: Munich, Rye, Wheat, etc. Grains that are there for flavor and color need to be present in the same concentrations or you'll change the beer's flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I actually asked the same question a few months ago and the consensus seemed to be scale everything. Which makes sense, given that a good recipe is all about balance and proportion. Kind of like cooking - if you want to increase or decrease the amount a recipe will make, you increase or decrease everything.

That said, for simpler beers, it does seem easier to only scale the base malt. I made Ed Wort's Pale a few months ago, only scaled the 2-row, and it still came out awesome.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Scale everything.

A beer with 10 lbs 2-Row and 1lb of roasted barley (@70%) is going to be a very different beer than 7lbs of 2-row and 1lb(@100%) of roasted barley.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Hmmm, for grains that you only need to steep to get the character, like crystal malts, if I was to scale those based on efficiency (which is a measure of your base malt's and system's ability to get it's own sugars out) wouldn't I be getting less or more crystal character than otherwise?

If my original efficiency is 50% and my recipe called for 1 lb crystal, why when my efficiency is now 100%, would I add 0.5lb? That's half as much crystal in the same batch size. My belief, and I can be swayed, is that you scale our specialty grains (those that can be steeped) according to batch size. No? Or, is either method, scaling everything or just the base malt, changing the recipe ever so slightly with the same ingredients that we just won't notice the difference?

On Deck: Kumquat Kolsch

Last edited by 14thstreet; 01-29-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used to scale everything until I thought about it a little more. Flavor doesn't need to extract at the same efficiency as sugar. So as long as you are only changing the efficiency and not the volumes then I say just the base malt. When scaling up volumes you need to adjust it all.

I apply this same logic to hops when adjusting for different AA - scale early hops in a recipe by AA to reach proper IBUs but late hops by weight because you are only looking for aroma and flavor which won't extract exactly the same as Alpha Acids.

-Craig

Last edited by craigd; 01-29-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Scale everything.

A beer with 10 lbs 2-Row and 1lb of roasted barley (@70%) is going to be a very different beer than 7lbs of 2-row and 1lb(@100%) of roasted barley.
I'm curious as to why this would be. Assuming you end up with the same batch size and same gravity, I would think it would be impossible to tell the difference between the 2 beers above.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sensing an experiment coming on...

-Craig

Old 01-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp36 View Post
I'm curious as to why this would be. Assuming you end up with the same batch size and same gravity, I would think it would be impossible to tell the difference between the 2 beers above.
Try it.

The beer with less base malt will be much more roasty. Sugar isn't the only think you're extracting in a mash.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have done both. For me it depends on the recipe and the efficiency gap to determine if I will scale everything up just bump of the base malt by a half pound to get the right O.G.

If I was going from 70-85% I would probably scale everything.

70-75% i usually just adjust base malt.

Quick Reply