Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > San Diego, CA Water Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The water here is actually not bad for brewing. I brew all grain and have made a couple of really great beers. The only one that hasn't been so great was a darker beer, but I am pretty sure that had to do with overdoing the roast barley. I am definitely not getting the astringent flavor I was getting in Merced, CA in my earlier posts. There is a higher level of chlorine in the water here, but I don't find the need to filter that as the water seems to be pretty good post-boil.

I actually brewed the last beer straight from the water hose (one of those new non-rubber ones). I tried a glass of the water first (was in PB) and decided I could drink it over ice so we were good to go! You may consider avoiding the RO route due to HOW MUCH is taken from the water. A spring water or a brewable city water may give you better results, but to each his own. The good thing about RO is that its a blank slate if you want to modify your water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
charliec
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I live in Chula Vista, Otay water district. I take my brew water straight from the tap. So far every batch has tasted just fine!
Stay Thirsty

Primary 1: Crystal Springs Kolsh
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Stone Ruination Clone : Cream of Three crops
On deck: Crystal Springs "Sticke" Alt

Old 12-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlor20 View Post
The water here is actually not bad for brewing. I brew all grain and have made a couple of really great beers. The only one that hasn't been so great was a darker beer, but I am pretty sure that had to do with overdoing the roast barley. I am definitely not getting the astringent flavor I was getting in Merced, CA in my earlier posts. There is a higher level of chlorine in the water here, but I don't find the need to filter that as the water seems to be pretty good post-boil.

I actually brewed the last beer straight from the water hose (one of those new non-rubber ones). I tried a glass of the water first (was in PB) and decided I could drink it over ice so we were good to go! You may consider avoiding the RO route due to HOW MUCH is taken from the water. A spring water or a brewable city water may give you better results, but to each his own. The good thing about RO is that its a blank slate if you want to modify your water.
You must not have any taste buds because I live in PB and I can' stand the tap water here. Very heavy chlorine flavor with a dirt aftertaste. I would never brew without running the tap water through a charcoal filter first.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have since stopped using RO water for my beer and now filter my tap water through a charcoal filter. My beer is a lot fuller now. If I make something like a Pilsner I will probably mix it with RO.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #15
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has the flavor been ok in your beer using filtered tap? I've been using spring water but want to brew my next batch with filtered tap.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #16
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The flavor and Body have both improved since using Filtered Tap water. Just be sure to use a good charcoal filter, not one of the paper filters.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I can tell you that San Diego just changed the source of our water supply fairly recently. the new source is high in calcium (read hard). they did not notify the public of the change because calcium is "good for you". I have yet to get a new analysis of the new water source however

Edit: on that note I brew all grain. didnt filter for a long time and never had any noticeable flavor issues. I live in Ocean Beach. I have started using a charcoal filter recently though just because I can.

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Shiner Mock (Shiner Bock Clone)
Highlanders Glory (Strong Scottish Ale)
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter
Zen Kolsch (Green Tea Honey Kolsch)
Slam Dunkel (Dunkelweizen)
Milky Stout (Sweet/Milk Stout)

Bottled:
Barley Bliss (18.5% ABV Barley Wine)
Victory Vanilla Porter
Spiced Holiday Porter

Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #18
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Not sure where everyone in San Diego gets their water from but mine is from Helix which gets their water from the Colorado river, "various other rivers" and 18% form Lake Jennings, Lake cuyamaca and El Capitan. Our PH is about 7.8 so probably a little high, not sure if a charcoal filter does anythiing with PH but, the beer turns out pretty good regardless.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
trent
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts

Bump. With the new addition of fluoride is this a problem?

I just realized I am in the Alvarado part which starts TOMMOROW. However, Miramar started last week.

I filter through a charcoal filter, is this still a non-issue?

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/qualit...ridation.shtml

Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Bump. With the new addition of fluoride is this a problem?

I just realized I am in the Alvarado part which starts TOMMOROW. However, Miramar started last week.

I filter through a charcoal filter, is this still a non-issue?

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/qualit...ridation.shtml
I dont think its an issue for beer. Its not the same ammount in toothpaste so I dont think its detectable.

Tags
all-grain, mash, san diego, water

Quick Reply