Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > San Diego, CA Water Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default San Diego, CA Water Profile

Hello,

I have noticed quite a few brewers in the San Diego area. Does anyone have a water profile handy for San Diego? The last one available online seems to be from 2008 and does not give Calcium or Magnesium or Bicarbonate...

Thanks!
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
BrianTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Scott, great question I would love to know as well as I am moving there in the next two months.

"Good people drink good beer" - Hunter S. Thompson

http://brianthebrewer.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/BrianTheBrewer
http://www.chugsd.com
http://www.quaff.org/

Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know about our specific profile. It depends on what part of SD you are in since we get our water from 3 or 4 different sources. But I know Ballast Point uses tap water through a charcoal house filter, which is what I do for most of my beers (all my american styles). I remember reading somewhere that Stone uses a London based water profile. But regardless, our water is good for brewing american style ales, just filter it.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schristian619 View Post
I don't know about our specific profile. It depends on what part of SD you are in since we get our water from 3 or 4 different sources. But I know Ballast Point uses tap water through a charcoal house filter, which is what I do for most of my beers (all my american styles). I remember reading somewhere that Stone uses a London based water profile. But regardless, our water is good for brewing american style ales, just filter it.
I'm in Mission Valley, do you know how they break down the water distribution? Apparently there are three locations Alvarado, Miramar, and Otay. But they don't break it down as much as I need. You can read the 2008 Annual Drinking Water Report here: http://www.sandiego.gov/water/qualit...aterqual08.pdf

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, according to that file, it looks like mission valley is covered by the Alvarado facility. I remember looking at that a while ago and discovered the same thing. I know there are places that you can send in a sample and they will break it down for you, but I forget the names of the companies. If you do a search on here, you should be able to find it.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #6
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Ca++: 37
CO3--: 0 ?
Cl-: 95
Mg++: 18
Na+: 83
SO4--: 160

It's pretty close to the same from most of the treatment plants. just remember to remove chloromine, that stuff's evil.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
ScaerCroe
Recipes 

Just moved here and looking to start brewing again. Is the easiest/cheapest way just to use a Brita water filter to remove this stuff?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have Palomar Spring Water deliver to my house. I already use it for my water so a couple extra 5 gal jugs a month for brewing/soda is no biggie and it tastes pretty good. Not sure the profile on it though.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a house/RV filter system. You can get a put-together version at Home Brew Mart, or piece it together yourself (when I was looking it came out to about the same price). It would take forever to filter through a Brita.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Theres a place called the water store in La Mesa, I'm sure there are more around the city, but it only cost me .25 a gallon and its RO. I been using it since I started brewing and it makes god beer. I dont think I can filter my own water cheaper than what they do so... I'll stick with them.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Tags
all-grain, mash, san diego, water

Quick Reply