Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > San Diego brewers...Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
schristian619
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default San Diego brewers...Water?

To all the SAn Diego area brewers out there....what water do you use? It seems impossible to get a report that is at all usefull from the water authority, but the tap water isn't drinkable in my opinion, and therefore would not be used in brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
thdewitt
Recipes 

I have this same question. I know there are a lot of people who are brewing fantastic beers. Modifying the water seems so complicated as every change affects another. I was hoping to find a bottled water that I could use without modification.

Or... what beers work well with San Diego (Encinitas) water.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
moger777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, can't give you specifics about your local water but if it does not taste good, it is probably not worth using. Might wanna consider either filtering your water or buying spring water.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I filter my tap water. I have a water filter that removes most of the bad crap and my beer comes out very well. I am not sure if my water is the same as in Encinitas. I am in South Park.

There is a water report on the San Diego Water site if you look for it.

I've also in the past used the water filtration machines and had good luck with them too. Your water profile will be totally different after the filter, but if you're really concerned you can send your water off to a lab for analysis.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I get Reverse Osmosis water from the local gas corner market, 25 cents a gallon, then modify it from there. You could always shoot an e-mail to Stone to see what they do, They are out of Encinitas. I think I remember reading in their "Clone a Stone" Vertical Epic series them saying something like they bring the water up to a certain temp to vaporize the chlorine..or something like that.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
shaunkendall
Recipes 

Default San Diego Water

Like stated above you can get a water report off of the water authority web site. You might have to search around for it though. If I remember, there are two reports that you can download to get the full image of water.
Also, I personally feel that the water in San Diego is great right out of the tap. If you talk to a lot of the Brew Mart people, they would tell you that they don:t treat their water at all and it produces pretty good beer as is.

Quick Reply