Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Same Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
jgaepi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Same Cooler

I want to build the same mash tun system that NB sells for $199. I assume all rubbermaid coolers at various sites are all the same even though they seem slightly different. But Home Depot sells theirs for $22 each.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...specifications
I assume this is the same cooler? Also, would you recommend buying the bronze valves or spend more for the stainless?
I am approaching stepping up to all grain. I am taking the class at UC Davis next month, so I am only a few weeks away from stepping up.
Thanks.

Lastly, I bought the blichmann boilermaker but it is my only kettle, so I figure that the extra mash tun parts aren't really going to do much for me. Coolers are prob better.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Yep I'd go with the Home Depot Cooler, it's what I've been using for a few years now with great success. As far as the fittings.. I've got stainless, just felt it was better at the time that I was buying the stuff, BUT, I'm not so sure now. Really not sure you can go wrong with the bronze as long as you keep everything clean.
The Blichmann will be fantastic, wish I had one! But until you build up to pumps and such the cooler will work perfectly.
Cheers!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get the 10G cooler. It should be $40 at Home Depot. It's brass vs. stainless...don't think I've seen bronze. I'd go stainless, but I've been using brass for years with success. I was using the 10G home depot rubbermaid cooler with brass...when I went to 10G finished batches, I built a 70QT coleman xtreme MLT with all stainless parts.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
jgaepi
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Wild card question but what about the 7 gallon system from either NB or Midwest? Seems perfect for all 5 gallon brew.

1st Brew: Black IPA
2nd Brew: Pilsener Urquell Clone
3rd Brew: Pliny the Elder Clone
4th Brew: Dogfish Head 90min IPA Clone

Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Shoot!! Yeah brass.. not bronze! Lol

As far as the 7 gallon system goes, it probably would work for all but the biggest of the 5 gallon beers. A strong Barley Wine wouldn't work very well in a 7 gallon cooler, some of the IPA's I make would probably be to tight too. If you've got the extra cash I'd go with the 10 gallon for sure.

Quick Reply