HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Same Brew - Different Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Aust1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Same Brew - Different Taste

Hey guys. I am trying to work through a problem here.

I brewed a double batch of Wheat Ale. It was a simple 50/50 mix of two row and domestic wheat. I used Wyeast American Wheat.

I primaried the full 11 gallons in a Sanke Keg. And then secondaried in two 6 gallon better bottles. I kegged and drank the first secondary a while back, it was fantastic. Yesterday, I pulled my first pint of the other secondary (now on tap of course) and it was much more sweet with an almost banana effect. Obviously the change in flavor appeared in one of two places.

1) During the time it was in the secondary
2) Or just a natural effect of aging another month in the keg.

Any thoughts on why this might have happened. I do not like the Banana Taste. YUCK!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have found that Hefe's need to be consumed relatively quickly after fermenting as they will change over time.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What temperature did you store the second carboy at? The banana flavor could be the yeast reacting to warmer temperatures. It's odd the second half was sweeter though, I would have thought the fermentable sugars would have been consumed in the primary, so both should have the same sweetness. How long were you in the primary before transfering? Did you take a gravity reading? I'm probably reaching here, but maybe you transfered before the beer completely fermented out and one secondary got enough yeast to finish the job (likely the one racked near the yeast cake on the bottom of the primary), and the other one didn't.

Quick Reply