Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Same batch different beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Rapt0rBrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Same batch different beer

I must be doing something at time of bottling so I was wonder what other brewers are doing.

My last ipa is very clear, at least that was what I thought after the first bottle. The next bottle is very cloudy. The first beer has ok head, the second beer has tons of head. The first has large bubbles running from the bottom to the top the second has small.

I assume that I must not be distributing the priming sugar correctly, but was looking for advise.

So how do you bottle?

Thank you in advance,
-Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How long has the beer been in the bottle, and at what temp is it being stored at? And how long are you chilling them for?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
camelcarlson
Recipes 

When I bottle, I typically use 3/4 cup of Corn Dextrose and boil in about a pint of water. I then pour the liquid into my bottling bucket and give it a little stir with a sanitized metal spoon. My carbonation and head retention is pretty much spot on consistently. What method(s) are you using?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Rapt0rBrown
Recipes 

To the first questions, 2 months in the bottle and they were all kept together. 1 month in the fridge, some are still not in the fridge.

2 months in my basement at 65-70 degrees, 1 month in fridge at 35.

My current process is corn sugar to boil, cool then bottom of bottling bucket rake on top then one good stir (trying not to add too much air to the process).

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just had an undercarbed bottle of beer that was bulk primed, and the one before it I gave a friend and it was a bit overcarbed. I may add some stirring to the bottling procedure.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Waterboy42
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always make sure that my priming solution is a few degrees warmer than the beer. The priming solution also goes into the bottling bucket first.

Between racking the beer onto the priming solution, and having the priming solution slightly warmer, it always gets mixed evenly. All of my beer within any specific batch I do, is carbonated consistently from bottle to bottle using this method.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I do both of those, although the priming solution may be a little more than lightly warmer. This is the first bottle (or two) where there has been an issue, so maybe it was a difference in fridge time or a bad seal in the cap or something, though it looked fine after I pried it off.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Quick Reply