Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Saison Not Finishing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
drksky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

So now I have another question. With the fermentation seemingly stalled, am I going to have problems with it carbing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
bdb7098
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just bottled a Saison using 3724. Very sluggish, took two months until it finished with a reading of 1.005. I moved mine to my garage to get more heat but with the cool summer it wasn't consistently hot enough. 3724 loves it hot. It finally finished when the temp in the garage was over 90. I bottled last Friday and cracked one open last night, just to see. Tho't it would be flat because of the long ferment. Not so. Perfect carbonation after only a week. I was going to brew a Saison/IPA with this yeast but don't think I can keep it hot enough. It might not finish until next spring.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
drksky
Recipes 

It was still at 1.020 this morning so I broke down and brought some Belle Saison that I'm going to pitch this afternoon. One thing I do remember is that when I smacked it, it was very slow to swell the pack and never really did get it as taught as other smack packs.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
HopHouse
Recipes 

My suggestion for next time is to follow this temp profile for fermentation.

Pitch at 68F and hold for 2 days. Then set temp controller for 80F and use a heating element (I use a ferm wrap) and let it sit for 3-5 days more at this temp. By Day 4 (of 7-8 total fermentation days) I'm usually done fermenting and the last few days it is cleaning up.

I'll keg, chill overnight, force carbonate and can drink by day 10. I'm drinking one this weekend that is 8 days old and its delicious!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Racking to a secondary before it was done fermenting probably didn't help. 3724 is a slug unless you warm it up. It will finish eventually but it will take it's sweet time doing so. I prefer WLP 566. Gives similar flavors without the staling. I was told 3942 may be an alternative to 3724. I have not tried it though.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
drksky
Recipes 

Hmmmm...I pitched a full packet of rehydrated Belle Saison yesterday around noon and 24 hours later I don't see any signs of renewed fermentation and it's still stubbornly stuck at 1.020?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky View Post
Hmmmm...I pitched a full packet of rehydrated Belle Saison yesterday around noon and 24 hours later I don't see any signs of renewed fermentation and it's still stubbornly stuck at 1.020?
What temp are you at? Belle Saison likes it hot, all the way up to 92°F, perhaps higher. Their spec sheet is incomplete and hard to understand.

Was your pitched hydrated yeast within 18°F of the beer temp?

Unless you have a boat load of unfermentables, it should attenuate. You may not see big bubbles, and it maybe slow moving. Time will tell.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: 2'd Clone
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 884

Just an observation.

On 8/31 you said the gravity was 1.024, and on 9/6 you measured 1.020. To most of us that means your 3724 was still attenuating. Your swinging temps could be the reason that slowed down the yeast to a crawl. Try to keep this baby warm, at the same temperature, and have patience. It will get there, unless there is nothing to ferment for the yeast. Some extracts seem to leave a lot of unfermentables that even the regular Saison yeasts can't break down. 3711 has some of the strongest teeth and is tenacious.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: 2'd Clone
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
drksky
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Just an observation.

On 8/31 you said the gravity was 1.024, and on 9/6 you measured 1.020. To most of us that means your 3724 was still attenuating. Your swinging temps could be the reason that slowed down the yeast to a crawl. Try to keep this baby warm, at the same temperature, and have patience. It will get there, unless there is nothing to ferment for the yeast. Some extracts seem to leave a lot of unfermentables that even the regular Saison yeasts can't break down. 3711 has some of the strongest teeth and is tenacious.
The probe I've got taped to the side of the better bottle is telling me 85. The sample I pulled this morning measured 83 and change. This is about the best I can do with my equipment and environment. I'll just try to keep the temp constant and just let it be. Obsessively taking gravity readings isn't going to get me anywhere, I suppose.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

3724 will finish below 1.010 for you but you are just going to have to be patient because your fermentation schedule has been less than ideal..........

Go brew something else in the meantime and periodically go back to this one and rouse the yeast every few days and in another week or so it should be done so just leave it be for now and stop making yourself nuts over it

If you choose to use this yeast again be prepared to pitch it at 80 and allow to self rise into the mid 90's or with a controllable heat source and it will finish in 10 days easily with a great flavor profile, that's all I can tell you.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply