Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Saison Not Finishing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
BackAlley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2
Easier option, pitch a pack of Wyeast 3711. 3711 likes it on the cooler side, between 68-75, and will attenuate like a champ. And since the bulk of your fermentation is already over, you should get more of the 3724 character than the 3711.
A big second of this advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
drksky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Easier option, pitch a pack of Wyeast 3711. 3711 likes it on the cooler side, between 68-75, and will attenuate like a champ. And since the bulk of your fermentation is already over, you should get more of the 3724 character than the 3711.
So if I can't get the 3724 to finish, pitch a pack of 3711 on top of what I've already got?

I wrapped the carboy in a shirt to insulate it a bit and then with the heating pad on low. I checked it after a couple of days and it's dropped to 1.020 now. Not sure where the point would be that waiting longer would help any, and to just repitch to finish it.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksky View Post
So if I can't get the 3724 to finish, pitch a pack of 3711 on top of what I've already got?
Yup. 3711 attenuates like a beast. I often joke that you could make a beer out of crystal malt and lactose and 3711 would dry it out. 1.020 is WAY too high for a saison, so pitch some 3711 to try and get your gravity down a bit.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

FWIW, with my 3724 saison, I just swirled the secondary every couple days to shake up the yeast, and they attenuated in a few weeks. I had the carboy sitting a little warm, but probably not much higher than 80.

Just give it time. These yeast like to sit down and take a break every now and then, but they'll get back to work if you tell 'em to. Total fermentation time for my saison was ~5 weeks, and it went from 1.070 to 1.005.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I wrapped a heating pad around the carboy, followed by 2 layers of big-bubble wrap, and a thick dark towel to keep the light out. I kept my STC-1000 probe in close contact with the carboy wall (under a piece of foam) and set the temp to 32°C. This was a different saison yeast (Danstar) that likes it 90+.

If heating fails to restart in a couple of days, I'd think of 3711. You need a good size starter though...

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
If heating fails to restart in a couple of days, I'd think of 3711. You need a good size starter though...
Why do you need a starter? The 3724 has stalled/slowed, the gravity's at 1.020. 3711 should be able to take hold in that. Or would the starter be to accommodate the presence of alcohol and lack of oxygen? I've just never needed a starter for a repitch (admittedly I haven't needed to repitch very often), so I'm curious, is this common?

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 97

You could just rehydrate and pitch some Belle Saison dry yeast. Then you wouldn't have to worry about starters or oxygen or anything. And it's cheaper than liquid. I've heard it gets around 90% attenuation too.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
You could just rehydrate and pitch some Belle Saison dry yeast. Then you wouldn't have to worry about starters or oxygen or anything. And it's cheaper than liquid. I've heard it gets around 90% attenuation too.
I've used it once and agree, very attenuative. Another good choice!

On-Deck:

Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I really don't know how well Belle Saison likes the alcoholic environment, but worth a try. Yeast is yeast. I used Belle Saison, and it is very nice and attenuates very well, but I did not restart a stuck fermentation with it.
It definitely should be hydrated following the instructions to a T. I hope they fixed those...

The reason to make a good size starter of the 3711, or any other liquid yeast, and pitch that at high krausen is to beat the odds of the hostile alcohol environment you're pitching into.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
drksky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

I'm going to take a sample again today. If it hasn't moved any further, I'll see if I can find some Belle Saison locally. Failing that, I'm sure one of my LHBSs has a pack of 3711.

Quick Reply