Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Saison Dupont

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Dok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239
I brewed this last night, ended up doing the 90 min mash at 148 (it dropped to 146 at the end) and then a 2-hr boil. The color looks pretty good although it's always tough to tell at this point. Whether or not I get the golden Dupont remains to be seen. My OG was closer to 1.060 than 1.055 but that's ok. The additional sparge water gave me an efficiency closer to 80% than my usual 70-75%.

Piched my Dupont yeast at midnight, at 75 degrees. Fermentation took off in a hurry, already had a thick layer of krausen at 7 o'clock this morning. It's fermenting above 78 degrees right now since that's as high as my strip goes, I'm guessing the low 80's! I'm going to try and get this baby up to 88!
Your low mash temp and the extended 90 minute mash probably had more to do with your higher efficiency. I tend to get the same result. Congrats. It sounds like you are had some great results. I would love to see how the longer boil time effected the color and flavor. Keep us posted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrad02 View Post
I just checked my Clone Brews book for the Saison Dupont recipe and the author recommends:

10.66 lbs Belg. Pils.
8 oz. Cara-Vienne
2 oz. Cara-Munich
1 lb. Clear Belgian Candi sugar

Cheers!!!
That is how I've made mine over the years. The only thing that I'll modify is the yeast. Wyeast has the Saison Dupont available as a seasonal offering, so I'll substitute that when it is available.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dok

Your low mash temp and the extended 90 minute mash probably had more to do with your higher efficiency. I tend to get the same result. Congrats. It sounds like you are had some great results. I would love to see how the longer boil time effected the color and flavor. Keep us posted.
Oh I thought it was due to the fact that I sparged with 1 more gal than usual which gave me a few more gravity points that I wouldn't normally get. My final volume was the same as it always is since I boiled that additional gal off during the prolonged 2 hour boil.

But I see your point as well.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #14
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239

Oh I thought it was due to the fact that I sparged with 1 more gal than usual which gave me a few more gravity points that I wouldn't normally get. My final volume was the same as it always is since I boiled that additional gal off during the prolonged 2 hour boil.

But I see your point as well.
Wait a minute, we are in the same town.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thought I would update this. After 6 weeks in the primary and then 2 weeks in the keg it is finally ready! My version of the Saison Dupont is delicious, it's lacking the extreme head you get with the real thing but I can definitely pick out the spicy Dupont character which I would attribute to the yeast. I'm quite pleased with the results, the color turned out great using nothing but the dingemann's pilsen malt. I will definitely make this again next year for the summer and do it the same way (buy a 4-pack of Dupont and harvest their yeast). (I should've washed it!)

Anyways here's a photo:

photo.jpg  

Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

You better be sure Saison doesn't bottle condition the beers with another culture...I would just use the White Labs stuff. It works great. For better head retention use a generous amount of noble hops...I mean lots.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
jerkstore
Recipes 

They don't, its the same strain.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #18
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yup without a doubt this is the same yeast as the true Dupont. It's character is powerful.

And on that note, after about a month in the keg this Saison got better and better. So last weekend I used my beergun to bottle the rest of it because I wanted space for the next batch that's ready - ended up with 25 bottles that I'll get to savor as summer is winding down...

Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #19
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
You better be sure Saison doesn't bottle condition the beers with another culture...I would just use the White Labs stuff. It works great. For better head retention use a generous amount of noble hops...I mean lots.
Yeah, it's definitely the same stuff. I've had great luck culturing out of Dupont bottles. The cultured yeast doesn't tend to stick at 1.020 either (the Wyeast/White Labs cultures tend to).

For head retention I usually throw 0.5lb flaked barley into my saisons. Works like a charm.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #20
nman13
Recipes 

Hey. I was wondering if you remember the hop schedule for this brew?

Quick Reply