Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Saison Dupont

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Saison Dupont

This has probably been discussed before but from I've read Saison Dupont is 100% Dingeman Belgian Pilsen. So I harvested me some Dupont 10 days ago and now am planning on trying to replicate the wonderful brew by using the 100% of the same malt. What do folks think about this? I know that Saison's are simple. Dupont is supposedly ramped up in temperature starting at about 110 degrees, but my equipment is limited so my approach is a single infusion mash at 148 degrees for 90 minutes followed by the typical sparge at 168 degrees. I'm shooting for an OG of around 1.055 with a FG of 1.005 and am planning on a grain bill of about 11 lbs for a 5 gal batch. Comments?

Edit: I'll also plan on a 90 minute boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I've made a few Saison Dupont's over the years and have used a mash temp a bit higher than what you are going to do yours at - say about 150 or so, but I like a little maltier of a brew.

I've also heard that about the malt too, but haven't made mine that way yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
I've made a few Saison Dupont's over the years and have used a mash temp a bit higher than what you are going to do yours at - say about 150 or so, but I like a little maltier of a brew.

I've also heard that about the malt too, but haven't made mine that way yet.
Thanks for the post, what other grains or adjuncts do you normally use for your Dupont clones?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I just checked my Clone Brews book for the Saison Dupont recipe and the author recommends:

10.66 lbs Belg. Pils.
8 oz. Cara-Vienne
2 oz. Cara-Munich
1 lb. Clear Belgian Candi sugar

Cheers!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM   #5
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrad02 View Post
I just checked my Clone Brews book for the Saison Dupont recipe and the author recommends:

10.66 lbs Belg. Pils.
8 oz. Cara-Vienne
2 oz. Cara-Munich
1 lb. Clear Belgian Candi sugar

Cheers!!!
Hmm I have the candi sugar but not the caramunich and caravienne. Thanks for the post!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Use regular table sugar with your recipe so it will dry out more.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Rugrad02
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The Belgian Cara-Vienne and Cara-Munich malts are probably not used by Dupont. My guess is that the author suggests them because for us homebrewers, using these caramel malts are a quick way to add color. I'm curious to know how long Dupont boils their Saison wort, as the longer boil would produce a darker brew. If you opt to use the Pilsner malt only, you may want to try a longer boil to darken the beer. Just remember to adjust your sparge volume for boil off.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugrad02
The Belgian Cara-Vienne and Cara-Munich malts are probably not used by Dupont. My guess is that the author suggests them because for us homebrewers, using these caramel malts are a quick way to add color. I'm curious to know how long Dupont boils their Saison wort, as the longer boil would produce a darker brew. If you opt to use the Pilsner malt only, you may want to try a longer boil to darken the beer. Just remember to adjust your sparge volume for boil off.
This is what I was thinking, about doing a longer boil to get that awesome color. Maybe I'll try a full 2-hr, that'll burn a lot of as though!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm not sure if it will give the proper flavors, but you could just boil down a portion of your first runnings. Take one gallon of your first runnings from your mash and boil that down to a quart or so. This will darken the wort as well as give some caramel flavors. I've used this technique on a Scotch Ale and it came out great.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this last night, ended up doing the 90 min mash at 148 (it dropped to 146 at the end) and then a 2-hr boil. The color looks pretty good although it's always tough to tell at this point. Whether or not I get the golden Dupont remains to be seen. My OG was closer to 1.060 than 1.055 but that's ok. The additional sparge water gave me an efficiency closer to 80% than my usual 70-75%.

Piched my Dupont yeast at midnight, at 75 degrees. Fermentation took off in a hurry, already had a thick layer of krausen at 7 o'clock this morning. It's fermenting above 78 degrees right now since that's as high as my strip goes, I'm guessing the low 80's! I'm going to try and get this baby up to 88!

Quick Reply