Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is it safe to rack to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
pksmitty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is it safe to rack to secondary?

I brewed my first AG on 11/28, It was also my first stout (chocolate oatmeal). I had active fermentation for a couple days. Continuous airlock bubbling. Fermenting in the low 60's. OG was 1.076, Estimated FG 1.019. I took a hydro reading last night, 1.020. However, there was what appeared to be a small krausen remaining on the wort, like it hadn't completely fallen back in yet. I primary in a bucket, so I don't know how long it normally takes for the krausen to disappear completely.

If I take another hydro reading Friday or Saturday, and the gravity is steady, is it okay to rack to secondary, even if there is still a small krausen present? I want to let it sit in secondary for a week or so with a vanilla bean, in order to mellow out the flavor.

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2799 Times on 1672 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I'd wait til the krausen fell myself. If it has krausen it still may be fermenting...and like dry hopping to soon, the co2 from the fermentation may drive off the flavor/aroma essence from the vanilla. And if you rack now with krausen you may trigger more fermentation after you rack.....so give it til the weekend.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm definitely waiting for the weekend. That will give me 3-4 days between hydro readings. Do you think the krausen will be gone by then? How long does it typically stick around, or does that vary wildly?

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 12-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2799 Times on 1672 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksmitty View Post
I'm definitely waiting for the weekend. That will give me 3-4 days between hydro readings. Do you think the krausen will be gone by then? How long does it typically stick around, or does that vary wildly?
It varies wildly....I've also had it hang on til the day I went to take a hydro reading and lifting the bucket out of my closet and putting it where I can open it, and that's knocked it down.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply