Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rye IPA next...Sparge questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I've always let it sit but would prefer to not... anyone else want to chime on this one? Perhaps it should be a thread?

Discuss if you like, but I've tried both ways MANY times. The sitting makes no difference. Why should it?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Discuss if you like, but I've tried both ways MANY times. The sitting makes no difference. Why should it?
Ever tried vorlaufing while stirring?
Assuming you have never done this, then you seem to be admitting that a rest is required (although it could be a very short one).

I think the answer really lies in how long and hard you stir. A relatively quick stir followed by a short rest will be nearly as effective as a longer stir, and it's probably affected by mash thickness as well.

-a.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

I stir in the sparge water for maybe a minute (2 tops), vorlauf for a minute or 2 (usually about 1 qt.), then run off.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I agree that it make sense that you would not need to sit. Since we are just trying to rinse the grains, stirring should accomplish everything you need. I think I'm going to try this next time I brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Ever tried vorlaufing while stirring?
Assuming you have never done this, then you seem to be admitting that a rest is required (although it could be a very short one).
The vorlaufing is to set the grain bed and make a nice filter. Obviously, that can't occur while stirring.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
The vorlaufing is to set the grain bed and make a nice filter. Obviously, that can't occur while stirring.
I'm aware of that. Hence the

My point was that a very short stir, followed by a rest is similar to a longer stir without a rest. For somebody to state that a rest is never necessary because they have never done it is not taking all the factors into consideration.
Consider this analogy.
Make 3 cups coffee.
In cup 1, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 10 seconds and taste. Most (if not all) of the sugar will be dissolved
In cup 2, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 1 second, wait for 15 seconds, and taste. Most of the sugar will be dissolved.
In cup 3, add 1 tsp sugar, stir for 1 second and then pour it through a filter. You will find that much of the sugar is undissolved.
This shows that (under certain circumstances) a rest is necessary.

-a.

Quick Reply