The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rye IPA next...Sparge questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Rye IPA next...Sparge questions...

I just ordered the Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA from Brewmasters. This will be my second AG brew and I am excited. I do have a few questions about this recipe pertaining to my system.
I am using a 10gal Cooler with a false bottom....

I am assuming this recipe calls for a "Batch Sparge" like the Haus Pale Ale. For Ed's Haus Pale Ale I ended up with more pre-boil volume than expected (7gal instead of 6.5gal) and missed my OG a little low.
After mashing should you stir prior to adding the 180 degree water or after or both?
Do you repeat this after adding sparge water? The HPA recipe had it sit with the 175 degree sparge water for 15 minutes. Should I stir after this 15 minutes?

My kit came with a Fly Sparge system but I have yet to use it. Batch Sparging seems so easy but I fear I am leaving some sugar behind somehow, somewhere.

Thanks......

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I stir each sparge when I add water, then at 5 and 10 minutes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You've got the right equipment for fly sparging if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about leaving some sugars behind. I use the same equipment, and only get about 5% more efficiency with a fly sparge. If I ever got used to batch sparging, I suspect the difference would be even less.
As for stirring, you definitely need to stir as you add the water, and David's suggestion for two extra stirs certainly won't hurt, and may help with the efficiency. Just give it a few minutes to settle before vorlaufing.

-a.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the information!!
I'll tell you, Batch Sparging is so easy that I think I will continue with that process for my next few AG batches. The SWMBO is giving me the hairy eyeball about the extra 10gal cooler and sparge gear sitting quietly so it won't be long til I break out the Fly Sparger.

Another thing is I lose a LOT of water during the boil. I had thought about backing down on the boil intensity with my last brew but when it came in a half gallon over (pre-boil) I went ahead and let it rock.
How hard do you guys boil?
The cooker below is very similar to what I have. The burner on the right is slightly bigger than the other and really puts out. The Bee Cave Rye Pale calls for a 90 minute boil. I fear I could lose a lot of water if I don't cut it back some.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's funny you should find batch sparging so easy. I find fly sparging to be much easier (but it takes longer). I guess they are both pretty easy, but the method you are most familiar with is the easiest.
As for boil intensity, I use a good rolling boil after the hot break has subsided, which boils off about 1.5g per hour in my 10g Polarware kettle.

-a.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

There is nothing to be gained in batch sparging by letting your sparge water sit after adding it. I simply stir it in, vorlauf, and runoff.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
It's funny you should find batch sparging so easy. I find fly sparging to be much easier (but it takes longer). I guess they are both pretty easy, but the method you are most familiar with is the easiest.
As for boil intensity, I use a good rolling boil after the hot break has subsided, which boils off about 1.5g per hour in my 10g Polarware kettle.

-a.
Well, I only have one AG brew under my belt and its a brand new setup. I know I have a lot of learning to do just about my system let alone AG brewing. But time isnt really an issue so I dont mind drinking a few extra cold beers and letting it sparge for an hour.

I think once I get a few under my belt and I know my system a bit better things will smooth out. (Hopefully).

If I am going to Fly Sparge my next AG brew it will be with the Bee Cave Rye IPA (In route.....) and that recipe calls for a batch sparge. So I'll have to see.....

Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
There is nothing to be gained in batch sparging by letting your sparge water sit after adding it. I simply stir it in, vorlauf, and runoff.
Good to know, because that's how i've always done it.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Good to know, because that's how i've always done it.
I've always let it sit but would prefer to not... anyone else want to chime on this one? Perhaps it should be a thread?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I've always let it sit but would prefer to not... anyone else want to chime on this one? Perhaps it should be a thread?
The hot sparge water only serves to make the sugars soluble so that you can rinse them away easily; all the conversion happens during the rest. A good solid stir and vorlauf a few quarts and you can drain away as normal.

Quick Reply