Is Rye Ale cloudy like wheat ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJBrewer

Reaction score
I just racked my honey rye ale into my botteling bucket and noticed it was cloudy, like a wheat beer. Is that normal? I used 10# 2-row, 2# rye, 1/2#carapils and I put 1.5#s of honey into the primary. Just wonder, it smells great, I just wasnt sure if a rye beer is cloudy, thanks !

Is it a cloudy haze, like the yeast or starches from a wheat beer? Or is it more of a chill haze that fades when the beer warms? I bet it is more like the latter, right? That has happened to me, too, with rye ales. Rye has a lot of protein and the malting process tends to leave it less modified than most barley malts. A protein rest can really help.

Actually, if you can go low on the protein rest, you can get some beta-glucanase activity, too, which really helps remove the 'gumminess' of rye and improves lautering.

This beer is 18% rye, brewed 12-14-08. Not perfectly clear, but Whirlfloc and patience help.
EDIT: Single infusion, no mashout, WLP002.

IMG_5517.jpg

I've used flaked rye a few time, but never rye malt. I got excellent clarity with a protein rest.

Back