Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
Next up is a Russian Imperial Stout, I plan on letting this one age until Christmas and I’ll give it out as gifts. Here is the recipe, I’ll be brewing it next weekend. I’m looking for input – anything I should change…add, remove?

Partial Mash: 5 Gallons

Extract:
10lb Extra Pale Extract

Grain:
1.25lb Black Roasted Barley
1.25lb Black Patent Malt
2lb Brown Malt
1lb 2-row Malt

Hops:
3oz warrior (60 min)

Yeast:
Wyeast London ESB 1968

Partial Mash at 155 for 45 min.
OG 1.096 = FG 1.020

Hello, recipe looks great...if I was to offer any advice, it would be to switch your yeast to Wyeast 1028 or 1450. I have used these in the past and they worked great..in addition I dont believe Wyeast recommends 1968 for a Russian Imperial...but no matter which way you go, I hope it turns out well!

Hello, recipe looks great...if I was to offer any advice, it would be to switch your yeast to Wyeast 1028 or 1450. I have used these in the past and they worked great..in addition I dont believe Wyeast recommends 1968 for a Russian Imperial...but no matter which way you go, I hope it turns out well!

Good call on the yeast. I think the 1450 sounds great in this beer. Thanks!

That seems like quite a lot of black patent to me. You'll get flavour and colour from the roast barley surely?

Maybe stick some flaked barley in for flavour, mouth feel and head retention?

Not the biggest deal, but why mash for only 45 minutes? If your aging it for a year I would think that an extra 15 minutes on brew day wouldn't be a big deal. Might not change too much for a PM, but just a thought

i dont know about that much black. but ive been wrong before. id ease it back to a pound just to be safe. maybe add some oak chips in the secondary.

That seems like quite a lot of black patent to me. You'll get flavour and colour from the roast barley surely?

Maybe stick some flaked barley in for flavour, mouth feel and head retention?

Thanks guys. I'll prob dial the black patent down a bit. How much flaked barley would you throw in here?

You can use quite a lot of flaked barley, it's an adjunct that'll add body and head. My RIS conditioning has about 6%, it only has 1% black. The 5% chocolate, 2% roast barley and 5% crystal has looked after the colour and flavour.

I plan on aging this one at least 6 months. Bottled 2 weeks ago and tested...AWESOME. An awful lot of roasty coming through, but not too much (borderline though). I can't wait for this one to age!

I did end up replacing the yeast to Denny's Favorite, but kept the same amount of black patent. It's more of an Americanized RIS vs. an English. Fricken Awesome! The only thing I may add or change is maybe add some chocolate malt.

Back