Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rushing a Hefeweizen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Soma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rushing a Hefeweizen?

I am hosting a party/bbq on the 20th and wanted to have some homebrew on tap for it. Last night I brewed a 1.049 Hefeweizen w/ Weheinstephaner yeast. I'd like to have this carbed up within 12 days - can it be done? Is there any point in trying? I think my best course of action is to let it ferment for 5 days(ish) then force carb it as cold as I can. Any tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

not likely if you are keeping the fermentation temperatures in the mid 60's. It normally takes a good 10 to 14 days on the yeast.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wanna preface this by saying I don't recommend rushing any beer but a hefe is about the only brew you'd have a chance at doing this with. Keeping in mind that the only time I take a gravity reading of a beer is right before bottling, if I were you I'd pull a gravity reading at day 8 and another at day 10, if it hasn't changed, cold crash it over night and keg it the next day and it should be good to go. I actually quit kegging so I'm not a very good source of information on the topic but there is a method for getting your beer to carb up much faster in a keg. I'm sure a quick search or stoping by the bottling/kegging forum will find you 100 threads on the topic.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hit it with 40 lbs of pressure for 2 days and then drop it down to serving pressure afterwards.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

A hefe is the best emergency beer, IMO. I've gone grain to glass in 10 days in a pinch, but two weeks would be pretty standard for a hefe for me.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would leave it on the yeast for 8-9 days. Then keg it, set your regulator to whatever pressure you decide to use, cool it overnight, then roll the keg back and forth on the ground until you don't hear bubbling anymore and then a few more minutes after that. It should be good enough in time for the bbq.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

you'll end up with green beer. it takes time to make a good bavarian hefe. no breweries in germany serve these beers young like you're being told. 21 days is young for these brews. you can make a sad attempt (swill) in 12 days, but I'd never serve a brew like that to guests

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
you'll end up with green beer. it takes time to make a good bavarian hefe. no breweries in germany serve these beers young like you're being told. 21 days is young for these brews. you can make a sad attempt (swill) in 12 days, but I'd never serve a brew like that to guests
dang... to think i've been drinking swill all these years, since i love me some hefe's. i thought hefe's could be grain-glass in 17 days and be fine, or earlier in emergencies... as was said earlier, 9 days ferment, keg, cool overnight, roll slowly under pressure for an hour to charge... a hefeweizen is fine like that. i usually ferment a hefe 14 days, but i guess i know better now

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

well if you are drinking 12 day old hefeweizens, you are in fact drinking green swill. roll the keg all you want, it won't meld together for at least two to three days. I've forced carbonated beers in a couple hours. They still need conditioning under co2

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #10
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done a couple "emergency hefes" in two weeks or less.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Quick Reply