Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rookie efficiency questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
mangine77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rookie efficiency questions

I just did my second ever all-grain batch. I set my efficiency on Beersmith to 68% because I'm still learning and I'm using the Zapap lauter tun which I know can cause some loss in efficiency.

I used 11.25 lbs of grains and had an OG of 1049 and my target was 1050. Did I really get that close to my target? So that means that I was at around 70% efficiency right?? Because I was supposed to hit 1050 at 68%.

Is that how this works?

I did have an issue with my sparge because I was supposed to have two seperate 2.5 gallon sparges and after the first one, my kettle was at my pre-boil volume (6.3 gallons).

Is only sparging with 2.5 gallons of water going to be bad for this beer?

I think I started the mash with around 3.75 gallons of water and I added around a gallon of really hot water to the tun to fill up the false bottom. I think this is why my boil kettle was full even before the second sparge.

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I'm learning a lot in a short period of time thanks to the brew nuts on here.

Help pick out my next beer for the British Open:
http://albatrossbrewing.blogspot.com/

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I use 11.25 pounds of standard 2-row, 1.049 at 5 gallons is actually 61% efficiency.

Your mash ratio with 4.75 gallons is 19qts:11.25lbs = 1.68qts/lb which is a little thin but within reasonalbe limits. The grain will typically soak in about .1 gallons per pound leaving 3.65 gallons to extract. I can understand why the 2.5 gallon sparge was enough.

My MLT also has nearly one gallon of deadspace under the bottom. I shoot for a ratio of 1qt/lb then add one gallon. For your bill, that would be just under 4 gallons. You'd drain out about 3 gallons leaving two batches of 1.75 sparge.

To be honest, if you execute it carefully, you'd likely be able to hit the 1.050 target using 8 pounds of malt because your efficiency will go up because you'll be able to sparge more. Example: 8lbs with a ratio of 1qt/lb is 2 gallons + your 1 gallon deadspace. You'd get out about 2 gallons first runnings leaving two sparge infusions of about 2.1 gallons each.

Yup, the increased sparge volume really does make a big difference. This is why I advocate precise AG techniques because throwing a few extra pounds of malt into the bill isn't always the answer.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
mangine77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If I use 11.25 pounds of standard 2-row, 1.049 at 5 gallons is actually 61% efficiency.

Your mash ratio with 4.75 gallons is 19qts:11.25lbs = 1.68qts/lb which is a little thin but within reasonalbe limits. The grain will typically soak in about .1 gallons per pound leaving 3.65 gallons to extract. I can understand why the 2.5 gallon sparge was enough.

My MLT also has nearly one gallon of deadspace under the bottom. I shoot for a ratio of 1qt/lb then add one gallon. For your bill, that would be just under 4 gallons. You'd drain out about 3 gallons leaving two batches of 1.75 sparge.

To be honest, if you execute it carefully, you'd likely be able to hit the 1.050 target using 8 pounds of malt because your efficiency will go up because you'll be able to sparge more. Example: 8lbs with a ratio of 1qt/lb is 2 gallons + your 1 gallon deadspace. You'd get out about 2 gallons first runnings leaving two sparge infusions of about 2.1 gallons each.

Yup, the increased sparge volume really does make a big difference. This is why I advocate precise AG techniques because throwing a few extra pounds of malt into the bill isn't always the answer.
So what specific effects may this have on the beer?

Help pick out my next beer for the British Open:

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

Quick Reply