Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Roggenbier- to decoct or not to decoct?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Windigstadt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Roggenbier- to decoct or not to decoct?

So here's my conundrum... I want to brew a Roggenbier on Saturday, but I have a social obligation that evening so I'm trying to make it quick (it generally takes me about five hours to kick out a five-gallon batch). Obviously decoctions mean more time, but I'm also dealing with 50% rye, which is a notoriously slow sparger (I fly sparge). Would a protein rest improve the sparge rate so that it'll be worth the extra time? Or should I just suck it up and do a simple infusion mash? I'll naturally be using rice hulls, but other than that any advice for keeping things moving along quickly? Thanks for any and all advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

If you can spare the time, go with decoction, but otherwise, I would try a protein rest of about a half hour. I've had more problems with wheat malt over rye for stuck sparges, but either way, I don't like to find out the hard way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply