The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Roasting Crystal Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Beer_Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Roasting Crystal Grains

I picked up some 2-Row and Chrystal 40L the other day. I was planning on doing a Pale Ale and a Blonde Ale. Then I got to reading about roasting grains. Now I'm thinking a Brown, Porter or Stout might be nice. I have read up on roasting grains and making crystal from base grains and have a simple question.

Any thoughts on roasting or toasting of Crystal grains?

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've only ever roasted base malt, but I've made my own crystal by soaking then roasting. A lot of people use their ovens to roast grain, and that works fine for lighter roasts, but for anything like 300+ chocolate or black patent malt I've had good luck with a whisk, cast iron skillet, and medium heat and a lot of stirring for about 30-45min.

The inside of the grain gets darker than the husk, so you need to crush a little bit while you're roasting it to make sure you don't go too dark.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
. . . Any thoughts on roasting or toasting of Crystal grains?
Crystal grains have already been toasted or roasted to some degree (Depends on what Lovibond rating you want), If you're wanting to make chocolate malt or black malt, etc, just roast pale malt. If you want roasted barley then just use raw barley.

Here's the way I do it: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/happ...9/index12.html see post #113. It works great.

This does make alot of smoke, so be aware.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Quick Reply