Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Rinsing the Grain Bed"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Mine is usually about 150-160.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #22
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How long do you guys let the water sit when you do a batch sparge to get teh most sugar extraction? Is there a time limit before you start getting tannins, or is that just dictated by temperature?

Kegged
House Bitter
Summer Whwat

Old 12-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
How long do you guys let the water sit when you do a batch sparge to get teh most sugar extraction? Is there a time limit before you start getting tannins, or is that just dictated by temperature?
That's the beauty of batch sparging- it doesn't have to sit at all. The sugars (through diffusion) will move to the water you just added. You add the water, stir like crazy, and then begin draining. Letting it sit won't make the sugars more soluble.

Some people DO let it sit for 10 minutes or so, but there really isn't any need.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No sit time...add sparge water, stir, vorlauf, then drain to desired volume.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you don't know how much sparge water you'll need, just heat up five gallons worth. Then only use what you need.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #27
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4713 Times on 4365 Posts
Likes Given: 58

A mash out is intended to heat the sugar and thus lower the viscosity of the mash so that it moves through the fileter bed more readily. best applicable if you are fly sparging.

If you do not know or adjust the pH of your sparge water then yes, it is adviseable to keep the sparge water temp at or just below 170 especially when fly sparging and has some limited applicatrion to the batch sparge due to some buffering done by the grain.

However, if you fly sparge and lock your sparge water pH into neutrality then temp of the sparge water can be above the 170 threshold since it is better understood that tannin extraction is more the result of pH rather than temp.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #28
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
I am very partial to the fly sparge method and think the batch method over complicates things (I'm sure I will get nailed to the wall for saying that but it is my opinion). To fly sparge, all you would do is heat water to 170F during the mash. Then, at the end of the mash duration vorlauf as usual, then start adding water to your mash tun while you are simultaneously draining very slowly (1 qt per minute is about right), keeping the water level above the grain bed at all times. You will need approximately 1.5 times as much sparge water as strike water. So if your recipe called for 3 gallons of strike water for the mash, you would need around 4.5 gallons (I usually need a bit more to get the desired volume) of sparge water. Anyway, the advantage is that it is one continuous process rather than three different ones with three different temperatures.

As an added note, 158F is at the high side of the mash temp range and will lead to a less fermentable wort. I mash the majority of my beers right around 150F.

Today, I brewed a batch of chocolate porter and decided to try this fly sparging technique. It went great! As a matter of fact, it really seemed to speed up the process; I mashed in at 1:22 pm and had the starter pitched and had everything cleaned up by 4:25 pm (for me, that is fast). I was tickled pink - thanks!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #29
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexun View Post
Today, I brewed a batch of chocolate porter and decided to try this fly sparging technique. It went great! As a matter of fact, it really seemed to speed up the process; I mashed in at 1:22 pm and had the starter pitched and had everything cleaned up by 4:25 pm (for me, that is fast). I was tickled pink - thanks!
Great! Glad I could help. Did you hit your target gravities?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #30
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Great! Glad I could help. Did you hit your target gravities?
Dead on the money. I even lowered the mash temp to 150 like you suggested.

Also, I did the initial calcs using your .15 gals / lb absorption to calculate my fly sparge water volume. When the last drop came out of the bed, I had exactly the pre boil volume I wanted.

A year ago, I was trying to brew with a Mr Beer kt my daughter bought me for Christmas... Now I'm fly sparging... Geez what a hobby!

Thanks again for helping me advance my own art!

Quick Reply