Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Rinsing the Grain Bed"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
BigTexun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Rinsing the Grain Bed"?

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to this all grain stuff and I'm wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot. Specifically, here is my question:

After I collect my 2nd runnings, I have been putting 130 degree water into my grain bed and drawing it off until I get to my desired boil volume. I do this because it both seemed logical and is visibly clear that I am getting a lot of additional sugars that would otherwise be tossed with the spent grain.

Is this a mistake?

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The second sparge isn't bad, but that temp is a bit high. That hot and you can be extracting a lot of tannins from the grain.

edit: misread the temp. Nevermind the temp is too high comment.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hmmmm, I was going to say that 130F is low. I always sparge with 175F water.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I thought you didnt have to worry about extracting tannins until you got over 170 Deg F. I ususally sparge with 150 - 160 deg F water and haven't had any issues with extracting tannins.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
The second sparge isn't bad, but that temp is a bit high. That hot and you can be extracting a lot of tannins from the grain.
Thanks for your input!!!!

Interestingly, I was more worried about it being too cool since BeerSmith has me put in 196 F water for the Mash Out (which drops to like 177 when mixed with the grain bed). I'm pretty confident that this second sparge (that I do immediately after the 196 deg mashout), is actually cooling the grain, not heating it. Will that release tanins?

Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah my understanding is that you don't want the grain bed to get too much over 165 or so. Adding 175 degree water just keeps it warm enough so that the mash doesn't gelatinize. That's why I don't really get the whole point of a mash out. Why would you add boiling water to the grain when you are going to boil the whole thing anyway?

To the OP - Are you doing a batch or fly sparge? What do you mean by second runnings? If you are continuing to sparge to collect your desired amount of wort, that is still considered first runnings. Second runnings would be collecting more wort after you have enough for one batch. The term second runnings usually means you are collecting more wort for a second and light batch of wort that will ferment separately from your first.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexun View Post
Thanks for your input!!!!

Interestingly, I was more worried about it being too cool since BeerSmith has me put in 196 F water for the Mash Out (which drops to like 177 when mixed with the grain bed). I'm pretty confident that this second sparge (that I do immediately after the 196 deg mashout), is actually cooling the grain, not heating it. Will that release tanins?
I have never heard of sparging that low: Here's what Palmer says: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html

And here's another thread on the same subject: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/sparge-water-temperature-141885/

Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My bad. I misread the temp. Still waking up and my eyes aren't catching up to the rest of me yet. That is a bit on the low side.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Yeah my understanding is that you don't want the grain bed to get too much over 165 or so. Adding 175 degree water just keeps it warm enough so that the mash doesn't gelatinize. That's why I don't really get the whole point of a mash out. Why would you add boiling water to the grain when you are going to boil the whole thing anyway?

To the OP - Are you doing a batch or fly sparge? What do you mean by second runnings? If you are continuing to sparge to collect your desired amount of wort, that is still considered first runnings. Second runnings would be collecting more wort after you have enough for one batch. The term second runnings usually means you are collecting more wort for a second and light batch of wort that will ferment separately from your first.
I don't have all the terminology down. BeerSmith calls it a "single infusion, full body." Here's what I'm doing, if you'd be so kind, I'd really like to know what it is called:

Step1: I add 11.88 quarts of 170.5 F... this drops to 158 F and I let it sit for 45 minutes.

Step 2: I vorlaf, then collect everything that'll come out.

Step 3: I add 4.57 quarts at 197 F, which drops to 168 F... let this soak for 10 minutes... and collect everything that'll come out.

Step 4: Since I don't have the 6.5 gallons that I want, I pour 130 F water through the bed until I get 6.5 gallons. I use 130 F water because that's the temp I get from the tap.

BeerSmith calls Step 1 the Mash In, and Step 3 the Mash Out.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I batch sparge, which it seems like the OP is doing, with 190-195 F water. For the short amount of time it's in there, there is not going to be any significant tannin extraction. Picked up this procedure from Denny Conn and have been doing it for 15-20 batces and never had a problem.

BN Army for Life!!!

Quick Reply