Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Right Iodine for Starch Test?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
ProfessorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Right Iodine for Starch Test?

I got some iodine to do the starch conversion test during my next brew, but I'm not sure it's the right stuff. It's Povidone-Iodine Solution. Will that work?

Tap #1: Smooth Brown Ale
Tap #2: Black IPA
Primary #1: India Brown Ale
Primary #2: -empty-
Secondary: -empty-
Upcoming Brews: Scottish Export, Czech Pilsner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Easiest way to tell: Try it on a known starch. Mix a tablespoon of water with a sprinkle of corn starch, apply a drop of iodine and see if it turns purple.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Should work fine, found a spec that lists that as 1% available iodine. You can dilute that further with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) if the iodine color makes reading the starch test results difficult.

I use 1 part of idophor (1.6% iodine) to 5 parts volume of isopropyl alcohol on either use white sidewalk chalk or the edge of drywall. Apply the wort to the chalk first and the iodine solution second.

Quick Reply