Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rice Hulls... HOW TO USE??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I will experiment with different amounts in the mash, basically break it down by oz/lb of malt in the grain bill.

I am wondering, if I can use these to keep my mash from compacting, if it will increase my eff.

This is why... on this brew I achieved 88% to the boiler, which is 5-6% higher than any other brew I have completed. I had this problem of sticking the HERMS recirc which led me to mix up the mash periodically during the mash. If this loosened grain bed allowed for better enzyme activity and better conversion eff., this could very well be the case with rice hulls.

The only thing really different in my mash yesterday was that I was forced to mix the mash every 15 miuntes to unstick it.

Hrmmmm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Layering the rice hulls over the false bottom is the wrong way to use them.
I would really hesitate to say it's the "wrong" way to use them, and more liekly say it is a different way...Primarily because the 2 hosts of the show in Australia have about 70 years of brewing wisdom combined, and had the very first brewing podcast ever, which started over a decade (iirc) ago on Australian commercial radio.

And was the first to go online, in fact the were the first to mover their show online, and they used to get a lot of letters with questions from some guy no one then knew with the name of John Palmer. It wasn't til a few years later when a certain book came out, that this guy they had pointed in a few directions was THE John Palmer.

These were the same folks that were doing "no chill brewing" long before we stopped debating about it and shooting it down....And actually started trying it.

So I kinda think that they may know what they're doing a bit. I'm not saying it's the way I use it, or I even understand why...I was just throwing it out there.

I'm trying to find the podcast Pol where this was discussed, but I did find this snippet from googling the terms rice hulls filter bed.

Quote:
rice halls are some times added , when draining from the bottom. it creates a filter bed when the grain does not have enough halls its self.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #23
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

8oz seems to be a lot for a 10lb grainbill. Rice hulls weigh hardly anything at all. I usually just toss a couple handfuls in the mash.

Mostly, I've found that I need to open the valve slowly to set the grain bed. Then I let it fly and open it up all the way after things settle properly.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #24
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would really hesitate to say it's the "wrong" way to use them, and more liekly say it is a different way...Primarily because the 2 hosts of the show in Australia have about 70 years of brewing wisdom combined, and had the very first brewing podcast ever, which started over a decade (iirc) ago on Australian commercial radio.

And was the first to go online, in fact the were the first to mover their show online, and they used to get a lot of letters with questions from some guy no one then knew with the name of John Palmer. It wasn't til a few years later when a certain book came out, that this guy they had pointed in a few directions was THE John Palmer.

These were the same folks that were doing "no chill brewing" long before we stopped debating about it and shooting it down....And actually started trying it.

So I kinda think that they may know what they're doing a bit. I'm not saying it's the way I use it, or I even understand why...I was just throwing it out there.

I'm trying to find the podcast Pol where this was discussed, but I did find this snippet from googling the terms rice hulls filter bed.
I agree that "wrong" may have been a poor word choice, but from my experience layering the rice hulls over the FB doesn't work very well, but mixing them into the entire mash does. The Aussies are true pioneers in every sense of the word. That's indisputable. OTOH, I've never been particularly impressed with Australian beer either. I tried the no chill method twice and all I can say is that at best it produced acceptable beer. I have excellent results with rapid chilling methods and see no reason to make a switch at this time.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I am wondering, if I can use these to keep my mash from compacting, if it will increase my eff.

This is why... on this brew I achieved 88% to the boiler, which is 5-6% higher than any other brew I have completed. I had this problem of sticking the HERMS recirc which led me to mix up the mash periodically during the mash. If this loosened grain bed allowed for better enzyme activity and better conversion eff., this could very well be the case with rice hulls.
Do you have low conversion efficiency Pol? I would have guessed any efficiency gain in a recirculated system would have been lauter efficiency and not conversion efficiency but that's just a guess (I add the rice hulls at the very END of my mash so...different method). I don't notice improved efficiency the few times I've used rice hulls BUT I have gotten improved efficiency everytime I've had a stuck sparge. Just recently I had my barely-open spigot get clogged during lauter/fly-sparge and didn't notice for a few minutes. When I noticed it wasn't flowing I just cracked it open a little more and it flowed fine but that little 'rest' improved efficiency. I intentionally replicated that 'mistake' this past weekend...same result. And I know I get good conversion efficiency so I'm pretty sure it was all lauter efficiency gains.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #26
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Do you have low conversion efficiency Pol? I would have guessed any efficiency gain in a recirculated system would have been lauter efficiency and not conversion efficiency but that's just a guess (I add the rice hulls at the very END of my mash so...different method). I don't notice improved efficiency the few times I've used rice hulls BUT I have gotten improved efficiency everytime I've had a stuck sparge. Just recently I had my barely-open spigot get clogged during lauter/fly-sparge and didn't notice for a few minutes. When I noticed it wasn't flowing I just cracked it open a little more and it flowed fine but that little 'rest' improved efficiency. I intentionally replicated that 'mistake' this past weekend...same result. And I know I get good conversion efficiency so I'm pretty sure it was all lauter efficiency gains.
Well, this last brew was my first time checking my conversion eff. It was 97% this time. My lauter eff. was about 91%

Last edited by The Pol; 10-28-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I actually forgot to post the main thing I meant to post!

Have you tried conditioning your malt prior to crushing? The difference in the intactness of the outer husk is very significant ime. When I crush I always look at the crushed malt and think; "Oh noes, look at all those fully intact grains"...then I pick a few up and they are just empty shells...but fully intact (I'm crushing at about .036" on a BC). After sparging my grain bed looks like it has fully intact grain lying on top...but they're just fully intact husks. If you haven't tried it it may be worth a try...it may make a difference and only takes a few minutes.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #28
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Nice to see that even one of the "pros" on HBT looking for advice. I've gotten a lot of good tips from you, Pol. I used 8oz of rice hulls in a recent Oatmeal Stout and Bier Muncher's Wit, and I like the results. Like Revvy said, keeps the mash nice and loose. I wetted mine good before adding to the mash to compensate for absorption, but honestly they didn't take on much water, and I doubt they took away too much heat. Good luck!
Pol,

Assuming you have posted every day since joining (1004 days) you would basically have to sit by his computer every day and not really do any work to post over 9250 times

Are you in jail somewhere?

- JVD_X

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
Pol,

Assuming you have posted every day since joining (1004 days) you would basically have to sit by his computer every day and not really do any work to post over 9250 times

Are you in jail somewhere?
I surf the web from the flght deck... like the NWA pilots do

Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #30
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I surf the web from the flght deck... like the NWA pilots do
I actually was wondering about that when the whole web surfing at 30,000 feet popped up in the news...

Quick Reply