Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rice Hulls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
rinhaak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Rice Hulls

I've read you can't use too many rice hulls, but I've determined that that isn't true. I just tasted my Hefeweizen which tasted like stale rice cakes. Had to dump the entire thing as it was among the most disgusting things I've ever brewed.

So I'm trying to determine now how many rice hulls are good. I'm brewing a tripel next with all Pilsener malts (and a hint of carabelge). I like rice hulls because they prevent a stuck sparge. But how many are safe to use? Or do I just forgo them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How much rice hulls did you use? what was the rest of the grain bill?

I usually use between 1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls in beers with wheat, oats or maize. The sticky adjuncts usually amount to 1.5 to 3 lbs in a 12 to 15 lb grain bill. I have never tasted the rice.

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

How much are you using? For a five gallon batch, you should be using about 1/2 a pound.

I usually eyeball it at a handful or two if my grain bill is more than 25% dehusked grain (rye, wheat,...)

Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
brieuxster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I have a 55 pound bale of rice hulls. I will be rinsing them prior to "use" henceforth. Steeped a cup and the water is discolored.

Some will place some at the bottom of the mash tun as a filter bed, in addition to mixing them into the crush. I have had success doing that. How much room do you have left in your mash tun? I have mixed in 5 cups of dry rice hulls in a 6 gallon batch.

I consider myself a 50 year old brewing rooky, for at least another 5 years.

Dan Hunt

Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 168

When I've used them I always make sure to rinse them. I basically add them to my mash tun and fill with hot water and drain. I do that twice then fill with my preheat water, so essentially they get rinsed three times.

That said, I only ever need to use rice hulls when I do my pumpkin ale. I make tons of hefeweizens and also belgian wits and I never use rice hulls and never get a stuck runoff/sparge.

Rev.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
thyirishmen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I usually use half a lb for a 6 gallon batch.

Primary-None
Keg 1-Munich Helles
Keg 2-Vanilla Bean Stout

Old 03-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno View Post
How much rice hulls did you use? what was the rest of the grain bill?

I usually use between 1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls in beers with wheat, oats or maize. The sticky adjuncts usually amount to 1.5 to 3 lbs in a 12 to 15 lb grain bill. I have never tasted the rice.
Pretty much the same here: 1/2 LB on every batch (5 gal) and between 3/4 and 1 LB on a batch that has cereal grains

I soak them in warm water in a fine mesh kitchen strainer and rinse them about 2-3 times. Using the strainer washes off the dirt and filters out those overly crushed hulls. I've never noticed any flavor contribution from them.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
high5apparatus
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinhaak View Post
I've read you can't use too many rice hulls, but I've determined that that isn't true. I just tasted my Hefeweizen which tasted like stale rice cakes. Had to dump the entire thing as it was among the most disgusting things I've ever brewed.
Did you rinse them thoroughly before use? I agree with the 1/2lb per 5 gal batch mentioned above.

Manta Brewing
Bottled: Chili Beer, Bourbon Aged Apfelwein Cider
Fermentation: Bourbon Honey Ale, Olde English IPA
Pipeline: Citra Pounding XIPA, Vanilla Cream Ale
http://www.brewtoad.com/users/10067

Quick Reply