Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rice Hull Alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Christ8242
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rice Hull Alternatives

I recently bought a new grain mill. Ever since my mashes have tended to clump together even when using 100% barley. I figure the new grain mill must be set too close together, but it only has one setting. I don't want to buy another grain mill so I thought about using rice hulls to help distribute the grain bed. This worked great but rice hulls are $2.50/lbs at my lhbs. I get unmilled grain in bulk much cheaper than this (~$0.75/lbs) so I am wondering if I can use it as a rice hull substitute. Has anybody tried using unmilled grain to distribute their mash? Any other alternatives I should consider?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4256 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ8242 View Post
I recently bought a new grain mill. Ever since my mashes have tended to clump together even when using 100% barley. I figure the new grain mill must be set too close together, but it only has one setting. I don't want to buy another grain mill so I thought about using rice hulls to help distribute the grain bed. This worked great but rice hulls are $2.50/lbs at my lhbs. I get unmilled grain in bulk much cheaper than this (~$0.75/lbs) so I am wondering if I can use it as a rice hull substitute. Has anybody tried using unmilled grain to distribute their mash? Any other alternatives I should consider?

Thanks!
No, you really need rice hulls. But even at 2.50 a pound, it's a bargain. A pound of rice hulls is a LOT. I mean, you need like a handful in a 5 gallon batch- and that must be just about an ounce or two.

I bought three pounds of rice hulls in August, and it's not even half gone and I make 10 gallon batches!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I just started using them a few months ago. It made a big difference. No stuck sparges - even with flaked corn and flaked rye in the mash. I think it's worth the money.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, you really need rice hulls. But even at 2.50 a pound, it's a bargain. A pound of rice hulls is a LOT. I mean, you need like a handful in a 5 gallon batch- and that must be just about an ounce or two.

I bought three pounds of rice hulls in August, and it's not even half gone and I make 10 gallon batches!
Like Yooper posted, don't need much to do the job. However you might consider wrapping scrubbies or scotch brite pads around your manifold to act as an added filter. Haven't personally tried that but if a shortage of rice hulls arise it's something to consider.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
Christ8242
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that I should be adding a whole pound to each 5 gal batch. Thanks for clearing that up. I've been trying to see how low I can bring down the cost of each batch without sacrificing quality. By starting a yeast bank and buying grain and hops in bulk I've been able to bring my costs down to ~$12 for an ale and ~$25 for a lager. That extra $2.50 was nagging at me, not because I can't afford it but because it seemed unnecessary. I was also considering switching out my looped manifold for a proper false bottom. Has anybody done this? Have you noticed a big difference?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
Tupperwolf
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

A pound per 5 gallon batch is way overkill. A pound of hulls will fill a HUGE bag!

Bottles: Weedwhacker Wheat, SimCity IPA, MO/Cascade SMaSH
Primary: Sasquatch Imperial Stout, Bee Cave Kolsch
Next to brew: Some sort of enamel-melting IPA and a nut brown

Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
beeber
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wheat bran from the bulk foods store. Very cheap and works well.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
A pound of rice hulls is a LOT.
Agreed. To put it in perspective, a local micro friend of ours uses one 50# sack in a 2000#+ grainbill (their Hefe). At that rate, with a 10# grainbill you're looking at 1/4 of a pound...an absolute bargain to not deal w/ a stuck run-off!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

The regulars are going to complain about me pushing BIAB but this is the exact situation that it works best at, a grain milled very fine. The paint strainer bags are nylon, are reusable, clean up easily, and are pretty cheap considering that with some care you can probably get 10 to 15 batches of beer with each bag. I got mine at Home Depot for less than $4 and there were a pair of bags in the container. Ask for them, you probably won't find them otherwise. Make sure you get the 5 gallon size.

When the mash is through, open the valve on your mash tun. If the wort quits coming out before its done, lift the bag and let it drain some more. Sparge as normal but when you are through and the bag has drained, use a pot lid to press down and get the rest of the sugary wort out. Make sure you didn't use too much sparge water as you can get quite a bit more out of the grain by squeezing. If you squeeze hard don't be surprised if your efficiency goes up.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 AM   #10
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The first AG wheat beer I did I used 1/2 pound of rice hulls. It was waaaayyyy too much. I could have got away with probably 1 cup of hulls.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Quick Reply