The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Reverse Osmosis Water Users?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Pelikan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use RO water for the control it affords. Add the following:

-Buffer 5.2 = Verifies mash pH is in order.
-1 gram Epsom Salts, 2.5 grams Gypsum, 2 grams Calcium Chloride = Good "all around" water profile (unless you're brewing some seriously light styles). Calcium 60 ppm, Sulfates 94 ppm, Magnesium 5 ppm, Chloride 51 ppm.

The above assumes ~ 5.25 gallons (or thereabouts) volume out of the brew pot (after the boil/into the primary).

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Last edited by Pelikan; 03-13-2009 at 02:35 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use a program called BreWater 3.0 to build my RO water. It was developed by Ken Schwartz who was a legendary homebrewer in the 90's.

It can be found here

Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Duster72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Timely thread. I started using a blend of RO water and bottled "spring water" because my tap water gave my beers an unbelievable hop harshness. I have been using about 2.5 gallons of the spring water and 5-7 gallons of the RO water (from wal-mart). I have used this blend for about 7 batches.

I have made 2 Cali Commons, a dry stout, and a holiday ale and they all turned out well. But, I made a 10G batch of APA and split it into separate batches to mess with different hopping schedules and they came out with a funky off-flavor. Not quite soapy, but it's a definite twang. I figured it was a yeast issue since all my other batches were okay. Last night I tasted my ESB. After 7 days in the fermenter it seemed okay, but last night, after 11 days it had the same darn off-flavor as the APAs. Exactly the same flavor.

Could this be an issue with not enough minerals for the heavily hopped beers? That's the only constant I see in the formula, especially since the APA and ESB were not consecutive batches. Next time I am thinking 100% RO water and adding minerals, but I would like to make sure this is my problem before changing another variable.

Anyone else have this problem? Make sense to you?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
jeff967
Recipes 

I brew a Belgian Wit, with strait RO/DI water it turns out great.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wrote and use this:

Bonnie Blue Brew Water Calculator

Enter your target SRM and target minerals and water amounts. Easy way is to enter SRM, then click on one of the presets (hoppy, malty, etc.)

Old 03-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #16
manny101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
I use RO water for the control it affords. Add the following:

-Buffer 5.2 = Verifies mash pH is in order.
-1 gram Epsom Salts, 2.5 grams Gypsum, 2 grams Calcium Chloride = Good "all around" water profile (unless you're brewing some seriously light styles). Calcium 60 ppm, Sulfates 94 ppm, Magnesium 5 ppm, Chloride 51 ppm.

The above assumes ~ 5.25 gallons (or thereabouts) volume out of the brew pot (after the boil/into the primary).
I agree here. But yes, get your water tested at Ward labs to know for sure what exactly is in your water. Then use Palmers spreadsheet to determine what and how much salts to add based on the type of beer being brewed. Add enough salts to the mash to get your RA in the right spot and to make sure you have enough calcium for conversion. Add the rest of the salts to the boil to get the flavor profile you are looking for.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been brewing with 100% RO water. It sounds like I may be able to improve my beer a bit with some mods although i haven't had any issues producer good beer.
I may have to call the company that tests my RO system periodically to see if they have a record of my last sample.
BeerSmith has a nice section to modify water.. I'm really starting to enjoy that program..

Quick Reply