Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > reuse a mash to create a lighter beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Dave the Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default reuse a mash to create a lighter beer

Theres a thread around here some where that I was reading about a week ago. It was about creating a mash for a high gravity wort, then adding a little more grain to the mash (reuse what has already been mashed) to make a lighter beer. Where is this thread, I can't find it. I'm pretty sure I wasn't dreaming, although I do dream about brew often. If you can't find the thread could you let me know if I'm understanding this correctly, or possibly making stuff up?

Last edited by Dave the Brewer; 01-22-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I posted one called "Party Guile" brewing. The point was to make as many different beers as possible from the same mash to fill up empty carboys as quickly as possible...

The actual technique is called "partigyle" so searching for that should help you out.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

irish/english brewers used to make a barley wine strength ale, then session/table beer, then a kiddie beer out of the same mash. just keep straing water through it...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You don't actually add grain, you start with a large grain bill. I'll probably do this in the future for my barley wines, because five gallons is way too much of the stuff.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
AllHoppedUp
Recipes 

Yeah, a friend of mine did the barleywine thing recently. Said he mashed 33 lbs of grain and used the first runnings for a barleywine that came out at 5 gallons of something like 1.09-10 OG wort. Then sparged and got 8 gallons or so of pale ale wort at 1.04-05 OG. Sounds like a fun brew.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sweet, partigyle is exactly what I was looking for. I'm brewing a Belgian Strong Ale Saturday; I'm going to give it a shot! Thanks guys

Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I did it for the first time with the 08-08-08 RIS. I only managed to get about 3 gals of ~1.040 wort out of the deal. I'm about to keg it, so we'll see how it tastes.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pardon me for being the skunk at the party (pun intended). But it seems to me that you'd just continue to extract more and more tannins using a process such as this. Thereby making a really nasty tasting beer with the second and third runnings.

Seems to me you'd be better off just making a good beer rather than trying to squeeze every last bit of sugar out of the grain.

Last edited by abracadabra; 01-24-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
Pardon me for being the skunk at the party (pun intended). But it seems to me that you'd just continue to extract more and more tannins using a process such as this. Thereby making a really nasty tasting beer with the second and third runnings.

Seems to me you'd be better off just making a good beer rather than trying to squeeze every last bit of sugar out of the grain.
The Majority of profesional brewers doing this for 100s of years would disagree.

You need to know what you are doing though.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a second runnings batch brewing right now. Granted, I added @3 of honey, and a pound of corn sugar, but I am gonna give it a shot. I boiled it down to about a 4 gallon batch, and followed a honey steam beer recipe, from one of my many beer books. It looks, and smells good. We'll see what it's like soon. It's almost time to transfer it to the secondary. That should give me somewhat of an idea if it's gonna taste good, or not. I think I might even check it tonight. It's been 10 days in the primary.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Quick Reply