Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > repitch ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
LouBrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default repitch ok?

Brewed yesterday cuz it was so nice. Didn't make a starter(stupid). No activity yet. My fermentation never took this long to start up. If I get a smack pack and pitch tonight will I be ok? Please say yes and I'll be sure to make starters in the future. Thanx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

Just because YOU'VE never experienced lag time before, doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

It's too soon to even begin to worry...after 72 hours take a grav reading and come back and say "You were right guys, thanks!!"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I re-use the yeast from batch to batch and am making the same APA as I did before. I ask you Sir! Why was I bubbling away in 2hrs the last time I use this east, and now it took 18hrs to start fermentation? WHY!!!?? Then fermentation was so fast and hard, it blew the bung off the carboy! Yeast are like girls, ya never know what they are going to do.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Chemfreak
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

My first batch took almost exactly 72 hours to really get started. I think it was because I didn't aerate properly, I don't know. Point is, Revvy is right, give it some time.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Yet another reason to make a healthy starter. That and the fact that I'm super inpatient.

Quick Reply