Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > reiterated mash....anyone, anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
gizmodog51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default reiterated mash....anyone, anyone?

article from a december 07 BYO about using the wort from a mash as mash water for the second or third mash to obtain wort capable of a high gravity beer without the addition of extracts.

the article infers that the author used the tradition spray sparge brew technique.

i was wondering why reiteration method couldn't be used with BIAB?

i usually brew belgian styles and the candi helps to boost the ABV. i'm thinking the re-mash would be good for a heavy stout , barleywine , or smoked porter or even something like the N.B. #8 belgian.

has anyone used this method? the author says it doesn't shorten the brew day...at least not when using his brewing methods....

GD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Seems like the efficiency would suffer significantly in the second batch, compared to brewing more and boiling longer. I'm just guessing though.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm going to call that method the "Reverse Ninja Partigyle"

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
Seems like the efficiency would suffer significantly in the second batch, compared to brewing more and boiling longer. I'm just guessing though.
according to the author and editor of BYO, chris colby, this process is supposed to provide rich wort without using extract additions to produce a beer between 9-13% ABV. the idea is to use the wort collected from the first mash as the mash liquior for the next mash. the author uses a single reiteration method using primary & then secondary mashs and a double method using three mashs. of course with a longer boil an even higher ABV could be achieved when fermenting using the right yeast.

i was just wondering if this techinque had been used with BIAB since it has been around since 07. i'm thinking this maybe the method pro brewerys use to achieve higher gravity beers and then use the second runnings for a amber, mild brown or whatever will match the grain bill.

after reading this article again i do feel it is BIAB doable.......and may be worth the effort when a rich beer is desired using only grains.

GD

Last edited by gizmodog51; 01-31-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
Jeffro74
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just using the same water on twice the grain bill, right? Like pouring coffee into your coffee maker to brew another pot?!

Seems legit. Not unlike doing twice as big a batch and boiling away half the liquid... just a different route to the same end.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
mjaquillard
Recipes 

I think I might have to experiment with this

Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

It should work, but I think you would want to do a second sparge on the second set of grain to get decent efficiency.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used to do BIAB w/ batch sparging and the re-iterated mash worked great on a barleywine.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

I haven't done one yet, but from what I've read, the goal of a reiterated mash is to get a high OG wort with light color. If you over sparge and have to boil longer to hit your OG, you will darken the wort which defeats the whole purpose. There are several ways people go about this too. A method I plan to try in the near future involves using the first runnings from the first mash to do the second mash. While the second mash is going, you sparge the first mash, then you use the sparge runnings from the first mash to sparge the second mash. The goal is to obtain just enough wort for an hour boil with the highest OG possible.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Quick Reply