Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Reissdorf Kolsch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
BigB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Reissdorf Kolsch

I am trying to clone Reissdorf, but find that the vast majority of recipes I have tried miss the mark by a long shot. Many recipes call for Munich malt or late addition hops... both of which I find inappropriate. Reissdorf has the grainy sweetness that is obviously from being primarily pilsner malt, and I'm pretty sure that there would be single addition of Hallertau or Tettnang...but what is elluding me is that subtle apple and pear fruity notes. I'm not convinced that either Wyeast or Whitelabs Kolsch yeast are appropriate... they seem to leave too much bready notes. For fermentation I've feremented warm before (68F) and cool before (58) and everywhere inbetween... I just can't seem to capture that subtle fruitiness. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I am trying to clone Reissdorf, but find that the vast majority of recipes I have tried miss the mark by a long shot. Many recipes call for Munich malt or late addition hops... both of which I find inappropriate. Reissdorf has the grainy sweetness that is obviously from being primarily pilsner malt, and I'm pretty sure that there would be single addition of Hallertau or Tettnang...but what is elluding me is that subtle apple and pear fruity notes. I'm not convinced that either Wyeast or Whitelabs Kolsch yeast are appropriate... they seem to leave too much bready notes. For fermentation I've feremented warm before (68F) and cool before (58) and everywhere inbetween... I just can't seem to capture that subtle fruitiness. Anyone have any ideas?
Perhaps Reissdorf's yeast strain has more ester production than the available homebrew yeasts from Wyeast and White labs. However, I've had very good results with both the WY1007 and the WLP-029 as beers with each do have a subtle winy character that comes out in the aroma. Again the aroma is subtle and more Chardonnay than apple/pear but experienced tasters and brewers pick it up most of the time.

Agree on the malt and hops. Definitely leave out the Munich and use a Pilsner malt base. I like a very small malted wheat addition, ~5%, because it seems to make the head a brighter white although that's a personal option. The Reissdorf I've tasted seems to have perhaps an IBU number in the mid to high teens. I like just a little more and brew mine to about 22-24 IBU with a small middle addition for a touch of flavor.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
BigB
Recipes 

Thanks Ed. I was thinking Reissdorf was probably in the mid to high teens for IBU's as well. Have you ever tried WLP001 California Ale? I heard that has a pretty good apple/pear ester profile, but I've never known anyone to use it for a Kolsch. Also, I also like a touch of malted wheat. I agree completely with your assessment of it. Plus, Reissdorf is somewhat hazy which leaves me to believe that they as well use a touch of wheat... I think the haze is more than just yeast. Finally, the chardonnay notes you mention from the yeast is exactly what I get... I'm just mislabling as "bready." But it is definitely more winey than bready...but that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I find the wine notes to be a bit overpowering. Granted, I've had some great Kolschs (scored 38+) from using whitelabs and Wyeast Kolsch strains but its not quite the profile I am looking for.

Quote:

Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Thanks Ed. I was thinking Reissdorf was probably in the mid to high teens for IBU's as well. Have you ever tried WLP001 California Ale? I heard that has a pretty good apple/pear ester profile, but I've never known anyone to use it for a Kolsch.
I'm not a big fan of the 001/056 yeast although I think I've seen it suggested in some recipes. Myself, I like the winey edge that the 029/1007 gives. If you truly want apple/pear maybe try an English strain.

Quote:
Also, I also like a touch of malted wheat. I agree completely with your assessment of it. Plus, Reissdorf is somewhat hazy which leaves me to believe that they as well use a touch of wheat... I think the haze is more than just yeast.
The haze might be something other than the wheat. My Kolsch is always pretty clear and the few times I had Reissdorf it had good clarity too.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If Wyeast brings out the Kolsch II yeast again that might be something worth trying.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
BigB
Recipes 

I decided to go with Cry Havoc. The more research I do, I find that it might be exactly what I'm looking for. I was never thrilled about using California Ale because to get the apple/pear I would have had to ferment warmer than I wanted to.

Don't get me wrong, Reissdorf is pretty clear... Just not as clear as some beers... particularly beers that have been lagered. For a cold conditioned beer like Reissdorf, I would expect it to be clearer if it didn't have wheat.

Quote:

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Me and my friend killed this one last sat night, I was hoping for more flavor, but I found it to be very clear.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Thanks Ed. I was thinking Reissdorf was probably in the mid to high teens for IBU's as well. Have you ever tried WLP001 California Ale? I heard that has a pretty good apple/pear ester profile, but I've never known anyone to use it for a Kolsch. Also, I also like a touch of malted wheat. I agree completely with your assessment of it. Plus, Reissdorf is somewhat hazy which leaves me to believe that they as well use a touch of wheat... I think the haze is more than just yeast. Finally, the chardonnay notes you mention from the yeast is exactly what I get... I'm just mislabling as "bready." But it is definitely more winey than bready...but that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I find the wine notes to be a bit overpowering. Granted, I've had some great Kolschs (scored 38+) from using whitelabs and Wyeast Kolsch strains but its not quite the profile I am looking for.
Anyone in search of the perfect Kolsch is cool in my book. Just curious ever used Global Cologne malt?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
BigB
Recipes 

No I haven't. Never even heard of it. Where have you found it?

Quote:

Old 03-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
remthewanderer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew

Anyone in search of the perfect Kolsch is cool in my book. Just curious ever used Global Cologne malt?
Ditto. I'm on the same journey. Subed

Sincerely,
jeREMy
@JeremyBehrens on Twitter

------------
Hop Creek Brewing
@HopCreek on Twitter

Quick Reply