Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Regarding random efficiency jumps...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Regarding random efficiency jumps...

I'm stumped guys. I have brewed about two dozen all grain batches, and every single time my efficiency is almost exactly 75% with my setup.

And then at random, yesterday my efficiency jumped to 80%. What gives?

My grain was crushed the same as always and I didn't stir it any more or less than usual. I did a few things differently this time but I'm not convinced any of them could have been responsible for the bump in efficiency.

1. I used Maris Otter for the first time (btw, this has to be the best smelling/tasting mash I have ever done).

2. I used reverse osmosis water coupled with mineral additions. I've done this for my last two brews too and they didn't have this efficiency boost.

3. I didn't use gypsum as one of the contributing minerals (ran out).

Other than that I really can't think of anything different whatsoever.

Atmospheric phenomenon?

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think your water may have played a part in it more than you think. Are you adjusting to certain pH levels? I did two batches of the same beer a few months ago. One of them, my pH was right at 5.2, the other was at 5.8. The 5.2 seemed to have converted a bit more than the other. There could have been other factors in there, but I didn't really dig into it too deeply.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think it's the Maris otter. I consistently get 77-79% efficiency with 2-row based bills and I've made about forty all grain batches. So far I've made 6 Maris Otter batches. I've gotten 92, 94, 71, 65, 64, 69% with Maris otter. I've been avoiding MO because it is unpredictable for me. The size of the grain is larger so it seems to crush more fine because of this. But as you can see I get far below good efficiencies sometime as well.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The one thing that I can think of is that British 2 row malt like Maris Otter has about 5% higher yield that US 2 row (38 pppm vs 36 pppm). If you didn't take this into consideration then without any change in your efficiency, you will achieve a gravity increase of about 5%.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Interesting ajf. I had been operating under the assumption that US 2 row was 38 ppm instead of 36 ppm as you suggest. Seems like I might have had a higher efficiency this whole time and didn't even know it! Cool!

'Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.'

—Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
isleofman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

mighty ... i use this a good bit.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot always boils over.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
carp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have observed higher efficiencies when I've used Marris Otter, based on figures supplied / calculated by BTP.

Quick Reply