New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Refractometer quite quick and easy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Griff777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Refractometer quite quick and easy

Hi all, just finished my 13th brew and got a chance to use a Refractometer recently purchased on Ebay. I paid 18.00 plus 9 bucks shipping from Korea.
I was intimidated by the contraption until I tried it out. Turns out if you buy the one advertised for Beer making, there is a Brix scale and to the right of the viewfinder, a Gravity scale.

So simple, put a drop or two of wort, any temp on the glass, drop the flap, give it a few seconds to cool and look through the sightglass. Instant readings. I could check the initial runnings, late runnings, hot wort at the end of the boil, etc. I think it adjusts automatically for temp.

No more wasted beer wort for the hydrometer, although I will miss sipping that up after using the hydrometer.

Just wanted to let anyone thinking of getting one that it's a great addition to your "stuff."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 573

You won't really know for sure until you do a comparative reading against a hydrometer that you trust. Once you can verify your readings throughout the process... including fermentation... (using a calculator when wort turns to beer).

Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 807 Times on 671 Posts

Forum noobs are so cute!

Cheers!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
baseballstar4
Recipes 

Don't make the same mistake I did with my refrac. I thought I had stuck fermentation on 2 batches because the refrac said I was at 1.040 on both batches. They do not measure gravity once alcohol is present. Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one, they are a great tool, just don't lose the hydro.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Beersmith is a great tool for calculating the gravity after fermentation has started, i tested it on two batches and it was withing .01 of every measurement i took.

Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide

Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
FarmerTed

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 65

This online calculator has worked pretty well for me. Make sure you do the calibration with water before taking measurements.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There is free software available that "allows" for the alcohol in the wort to give you a true ABV - I have got it - just cant remember where I got it....

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballstar4 View Post
Don't make the same mistake I did with my refrac. I thought I had stuck fermentation on 2 batches because the refrac said I was at 1.040 on both batches. They do not measure gravity once alcohol is present. Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one, they are a great tool, just don't lose the hydro.
I get confused when I see someone that has a refractometer yet post a number in SG. I never know if they are converting a reading from Brix or if the refractometer has an SG scale. I never know if they are using one of the available calculators. To say that you can't use a refractometer during fermentation,? I use one throughout the entire process.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
diS

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah, it is great tool for entire brewing process.
I even made conversion chart that shows FG values for different OG"s, check it out:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/brix-sg-conversion-chart-og-fg-attenuation-302327/#post3759204

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 02-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
baseballstar4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs

I get confused when I see someone that has a refractometer yet post a number in SG. I never know if they are converting a reading from Brix or if the refractometer has an SG scale. I never know if they are using one of the available calculators. To say that you can't use a refractometer during fermentation,? I use one throughout the entire process.
Mine has both brix and sg on it. Was just trying to help anyone reading not to make the same mistake I did. I did not realize that once alcohol was present that you had to convert your reading. I went as far as calling Midwest supplies to see if my refrac was defective because I kept getting a reading that I thought was a stuck fermentation. It was 3 days of worrying that I had 10 gallons of beer/wort that wasn't where it needed to be and I screwed something up.

Quick Reply