Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Red Ale Partigyle recipe advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Jumbo82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Red Ale Partigyle recipe advice

This weekend I plan to brew up my first partigyle recipe. Last weekend I made a 10 gallon batch of pale ale using Safale US-05, so I'd like to reuse the yeast cakes in each of my 7 gallon buckets. I haven't made a red ale in a while and would like some recipe advice. BTW, I'm a fly sparger and use a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler as a mash tun (I know, a bit on the small side for a heavy beer)

I'd like to have either 1) a 5 gal high gravity and 5 gal med gravity red ale, 2) a 5 gal high gravity red ale and a 5 gal med gravity "other" beer, or 3) a high gravity 5 gal "other" beer and a 5 gal med gravity red ale. In other words, I want two 5 gallon beers, at least one of which is some type of red ale (I hope thats not too confusing). I tried searching the recipe database, but I don't know which recipes would be well suited for partigyle brewing. And given the constraints with my mashtun size, I'm looking for ways to make this happen (I'm willing to have a long brew day). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by Jumbo82; 05-01-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alright, does anybody have any partigyle recipe advice? I thought a red ale would be nice, but I'm willing to do just about anything. Maybe an imperial stout and some other stout? Or is reusing the Safale US-05 yeast cake the problem? I can always buy some other type of yeast while I'm at the LHBS tomorrow. I just thought it would save me the effort of making a starter and whatnot for a heavy beer. The only thing I really have my heart set on is the parti-gyle brewing process. Any feedback in this area would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Jumbo82; 05-01-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
hoffie38
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, but can you explain what a "parti-gyle" brew process is? I've been brewing for five years and never heard of this technique or style. Would love to be educated.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Sorry, but can you explain what a "parti-gyle" brew process is?
Using the second or third runnings from your mash to make a seperate lower gravity beer.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It looks like you are going to be pretty much on your own on this one - I would find a good imperial/double recipe and try with that. Find a recipe that you like and go for it. Worst case scenario is you have a big beer and a small astringent beer - but if you watch your runnings you should be fine. Don't worry about style - just get one under your belt.

And let us know how it went - I have never done one, but after a get some AG under my belt - this actually sounds like a really fun brew day.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Might I suggest an IIPA then a Red Ale? Do something like an Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard, then follow it up with 5 gallons of the lighter second runnings using an EKG/Fuggle style for the red ale. Since the AB is red anyways, this should work out pretty good.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 05-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I can't help much with the recipe, but for those wanting details on Parti-Gyle

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Parti-gyle

Old 05-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
svraines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think in a parti-gyle the big beer version of a red ale would probably be a wee heavy/scotch ale. For a recipe go with 92-99% english pale malt(Maris Otter, Golden Promise), 1-3% roasted barley (maybe even dark choco malt), and optional melanoidin malt up to say 5%. If you want to get crazy, boil down some of the first runnings, say 1 gallon, down to a pint and forget the melanoidin malt. Bitter with English hops it to your liking around 20-30 IBUs.

For the Red ale, maybe cap your mash with some of your favorite crystal malt if you like your beer sweeter and add English hops at 60 min for an Irish red. If you go for an American red, toss in some crystal malt for sure, and hop throughout according to your liking with some tasty American hops.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
hal simmons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm planning on trying a parti-gyle brew next week. I've never done one and haven't gotten any recipes finalized yet, so no help there. My general process for recipe formulation has been:

1. Figure out what the strong beer will be, then what weak beer you can make out of the second runnings

2. Decide approximate gravities of each beer you want to make and calculate combined gravity points of each.

3. Formulate a recipe that will work for both beers, and plan the recipe so you'll hit the total combined gravity points.

Like i said, i've never actually done it, just read some stuff and worked through the process in my head.

Here's a few links i've gathered with info on the subject.
http://www.hbd.org/carboy/parti.htm
http://www.strangebrew.ca/swig/
http://brewingtechniques.com/library....2/mosher.html

Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #10
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Its too bad I took my trip to the LHBS this morning before all of the comments. I decided to make a slightly beefed up version of an Irish Red Ale by adding more pale malt to this recipe http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57576 . The only other difference (aside from all ingredients being doubled for a 10 galln batch) is I'll be reusing my yeast cake and not using WL1332. I also bought some amber LME just in case my second runnings are a bit on the weak side. I'll post back here afterwards to let you all know how it went. If it goes smoothly, I may try an Arrogant Bastard, or Wee Heavy/Scotch Ale next time.

Quick Reply