The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rectangular vs. Round Mash Tuns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #1
Axegod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rectangular vs. Round Mash Tuns

Hello,

I will be attempting a All Grain brew soon and will need to buy all my
equipment.
I have seen various posts and articles on cooler types to use but I still am
unsure about the style that will best suit me.

Here is some background info:
I will make mainly 5-5.5 gallon batches (but have a 12 gallon fermenter as well).
I suspect my first several AG will be 5 gallons for expertimental and variety reasons - and have a pre-boil volume of about 6.5-7 gallons. Based on the recipies and beer styles, I expect to use about 10 lb orf grain. I expect to also use batch sparging method. The cost for me will both be the same..and I am not afraid of making a braid hose/copper tubing and/or buying a false bottom.

Round coolers seem like they basically same 5 gallon size and style.
Rectangular coolers have a variety of sizes...from about 50 -75 qts. I also have noticed that some rect. coolers have lower holes and have a slightly angled floor
to help drainage for "normal" cooler use. I am not sure if this will help or hurt for mashing.

So...to make a long story short..any input will be greatly appreciated !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 AM   #2
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Heres a good read on the subject...http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 06-15-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My gut feeling is that the round coolers would be more efficient. They create a deeper grain bed which would allow for more fluid to rinse the grains.
Rectangular tuns would be use-full for very large batches because they would hold a higher volume mash.
This is strictly my opinion and I could be way off base.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

yeah, I agree with all of the above. A tall round lauter tun will create a more effective filter bed for better clarity, and better efficiency because the sparge water will rinse through more of the grains.

I use a 6.5 gallon bucket with a false bottom for a lauter tun. With a sparge arm, it has great efficiency, but it's diffucult to sparge more than 16 lbs of grain in it. I've never used one, but I bet a huge square cooler could be useful for high gravity beers.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would recommend a rectangular one. They will make it easier to stir and with batch sparging it doesn't matter much how thick the grain bed is. I have a 52 quart and it works fine but a lot brewers use between 36-46 quart coolers. The lower drain will be a plus with the SS braid. The crush of the grain seems to be the most important thing for efficiency.

Gary

Old 06-15-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default IceCube!

I would go Ice Cube. Its cheap and facilitated my 5gallon and 10gallon batches. Its easy to clean(lid pops off) and it had a neato compartment(I use for my remote thermometer)

The round Igloo's are more expensive and I see no true benefit. Actually I would say that sparging is better the more shallow you go.. just by theroy. IceCubes are more shallow than Igloos

Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I don't think it's a decision to tear your hair out over, honestly.

I went with a 34 Qt rectangular, because it what what I already had, and the size seemed just right.

(5 gals is a little restrictive: at typical efficiency levels, a 5 gal tun would be big enough for 5 gal batches of OGs up to about 1.065.)

I agree that the round ones are probably an ideal shape for fly sparging. I'm not sure if it matters or not for batch sparging.

The height of the hole is really not that important, because you will have a siphon going when you drain it anyway.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
johnoswald
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
I would recommend a rectangular one. They will make it easier to stir and with batch sparging it doesn't matter much how thick the grain bed is. I have a 52 quart and it works fine but a lot brewers use between 36-46 quart coolers. The lower drain will be a plus with the SS braid. The crush of the grain seems to be the most important thing for efficiency.
IMO, go with the stainless braided hose, an 18" water supply costs $5 max and a 1/2" copper Tee (for PEX tubing) is 25¢. You can use the plastic insert as your run off from the the Tee. I made one this past weekend and it worked like a charm! My old slotted manifold went back into the spare parts box.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #9
Axegod
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info.
I am leaning towards the rectanglar one mainly because of size...and there
are a few here on sale. I believe I will go with the SS braid - and the ones I was looking at had a small slot leading to the drain....which-with modification- may be handy to prevent a stuck mash.
Either way, if i decide on a different cooler style, I will still have a cooler for normal use.

I am sure I'll have more questions..and appreciate all the great advice.

Cheers.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Round coolers are 'sexier' IMHOTY.....but that's just me...

and dark blue is sexier than caution orange......wait......

This just in...

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Quick Reply