The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Recommendations on First Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
kraypd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recommendations on First Lager

I am planning on trying my first lager brew in October and was looking for suggestions. I am a fan of German styles so I am trying to decide between the following:

Munich Helles
Schwarzbier
Munich Dunkel
Maibock
Octoberfest

I've got good fermentation temp control and will lager in either my fermentation temp chamber or kegerator (possibly shifting from one to the other depending on what else is going on.) If the recommended lagering times differ at all that would be a help as I would like something that is relatively fast. I am very impatient and would like to get some feedback from my first lager as soon as is reasonable.

Are there any factors that would lead me to chose one style or another for my first attempt?

Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ohhh, I'm a BIG fan of Vienna Lagers. Next to that it would be an O-Fest due to their similarities. Cheers!!!

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
gtwarren1966
Recipes 

I like Classic American Pilsners but then again I like the challenge of doing a cereal mash and a CAP is good stuff.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I am a BIG fan of the German styles as well. I just pitched on _my_ first lager, which is a Helles. I followed this recipe, utilizing steam injection to step through the mash temps:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Edel_Hell

- CStone

Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did an oktoberfest back in march, just kegged it last week. Its going to be sooooo good! As long a you have your temp control set it will turn ot great. This was the first lager I did in its own fermenting chamber, with a love controller. Using this, lagers are easier to ferment than ales. Think I'm on deck for another lager now.

Quick Reply