Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is recirculation really necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Shaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is recirculation really necessary?

Is there any reason why you cant just run the first runnings through a strainer instead of recirculating when fly sparging?

It seems like your just adding sugars right back into where you want them out of.. It saves time and the chance of tunneling.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You only recirculate enough to "set" the grainbed to set it up for filtering, usually less than 2 quarts, so it's not really recirculating. Just a simple vorlauf will do.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's just a matter of how clear you want your wort to be. I find that going for a clear wort to begin with by doing a proper vorlauf, skimming hot break and leaving cold break/hop particles behind in the kettle, I can turn my beers around a lot faster since there are less undesirable flavors that need to meld and mellow.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

After vorlaufing 2-4 qts, you will see much clearer wort. So, not only do you set the grain bed and eliminate the hull particulate, you also clear the runnings.

Bull

Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
After vorlaufing 2-4 qts, you will see much clearer wort. So, not only do you set the grain bed and eliminate the hull particulate, you also clear the runnings.

Bull
Here is what I do

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
bobbafett
Recipes 

I think it also depends on your system. If you use a Rubbermaid setup then only a little. I use direct heat on my batches, and they are always 10 gallon so I use constant recirculation. I think the sugars will not be wasted if that was you concern. You recirculate before sparging so you don’t loose anything.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
bobbafett
Recipes 

I think it also depends on your system. If you use a Rubbermaid setup then only a little. I use direct heat on my batches, and they are always 10 gallon so I use constant recirculation. I think the sugars will not be wasted if that was you concern. You recirculate before sparging so you don’t loose anything.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im extremely anal about having clear wort going into the BK. With a pump its easy, let it run @ 45 minutes into the mash for a full 15 minutes. Once the grain bed is set it acts as an amazing filter and removes the smallest particles and traps them in the grain bed itself.

Quick Reply